Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6, 4.0L (High Output)
Lightbulb Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?

Okay, so here is the story, my birthday is in 1 week and I am getting a pretty decent budget for my Cheorkee, what should I do to it? Please excuse my brevity

So priority on my list is a lift. And I think I have that decided. Its a little more than I wanted to spend, but I am going to get RE's 3.5" SuperFlex kit, Skyjacker shocks, and a Skyjacker steering damper.
Is this a good kit? Are there any recommendations on it? Am I making the right decision?

After the lift, I'm not sure, so I'm hoping to get some ideas, what have you done?

Feel free to post any ideas, pricey or cheap (preferable cheap )

Thanks in advance!

Here's a pic of the so stated XJ everythings goin' on:
1994 Jeep Cheorkee Sport.
Attached Thumbnails Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?-171755_163721743679444_100001248575270_393361_5129042_o.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 01:20 PM

Cool UPDATE

I managed to get the red trim stripe off, I think it looks better.
I'm going to do some touch up on the black paint strip.

Sorry about the low quality pic's:
Attached Thumbnails Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?-img_20110908_111203.jpg   Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?-img_20110908_111243.jpg  
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

she's gonna need some new shoes once you get that lift in!!!
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Are you dead set on that lift? If not I have some cheaper but solid recomendations.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

Forget your list of stuff - put all your budget into a nice pink metallic paint job and some tItE vRiMz.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by just_jeepin
she's gonna need some new shoes once you get that lift in!!!
Yeah for sure! That is in the blueprint
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Are you dead set on that lift? If not I have some cheaper but solid recomendations.
I could possibly change my mind, but whether or not I do, I definitely want your ideas!
The main reason I want that lift is because of the noticeable look of it
I don't like the way a standard 3" looks, but I don't want to go to a 4.5" and start having problems.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Is one of those recomendations the Rusty's kit you have ZERO experience with thus far?

I used to have the RE 3.5" SuperFlex on my old XJ. My friend has the XJ now and after 8+ years the lift is STILL sitting at 4".

Can your "solid" recomendations include hands-on actual experience that dates back that long on a single product?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
Forget your list of stuff - put all your budget into a nice pink metallic paint job and some tItE vRiMz.
Ha! We'll have to see if my budget can possibly allow for that. lol
Old 09-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Is one of those recomendations the Rusty's kit you have ZERO experience with thus far?

I used to have the RE 3.5" SuperFlex on my old XJ. My friend has the XJ now and after 8+ years the lift is STILL sitting at 4".

Can your "solid" recomendations include hands-on actual experience that dates back that long on a single product?
Awesome, so I take it you think that the RE kit is a worthy investment?
That is what I'm looking for, a long lasting investment.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:04 PM

So I have a question for you.
I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling, just offroading, but I really like the look of flexing XJ's.
Is it worth paying the extra for the flex kit? Or should I get the SuperRide kit?
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by dustyeye
Awesome, so I take it you think that the RE kit is a worthy investment?
That is what I'm looking for, a long lasting investment.
Yes - but don't skimp on the shocks. My experience with the DT3000s, Ruogh Countrys and Pro-Comps are sub-par. I won't buy any of them again.

I currently have a set of Rubicon monotubes and they RIDE awesome (also not cheap) but I haven't had them long enough to comment on any sort of longevity out of them.

I think if you want a shock that is gonna last AND has concrete data to back them up go with the Bilsteins. They will cost you more up front but save you money in the long run because you don't have to keep replacing them.

As for my old RE 3.5" lift - we installed it in the fall of 2003. The Jeep has never been a daily driver but it has always been driven fairly regularly (both myself and the current owner drove/drive it on average 1-2 times a week) and it has been wheeled reasonably hard.

The springs have not sagged front or rear (My lift was a full leaf pack so I can't comment on the AAL version). The bushings are still tight in the control arms and it is just a solid all around lift - probably one of the best investments made on that Jeep.

The only 2 weak links are the lack of a track bar and the swaybar discos. I would also budget for an adjustable track bar and some different disconnects (unless the newer RE ones come with it now).
Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

To be honest I have several years of experience with rustys lifts..I've grown up around a local dealer, I've been in several rigs that use Only rustys parts and they have proved to be very worthy...rustys in my opinion is just as good as the higher end lifts including RE...I've been in rigs that were decked out with bds suspensions and they are comparable to rustys...of course rustys isn't going to ride like a town car...it's a jeep it's not supposed to, I can tell you bud that rustys provides a comfortable ride along with a very durable set of products..jumping to a conclusion and saying that I have zero experience with rustys shows that you speak before you know.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by dustyeye
So I have a question for you.
I'm not going to be doing any rock crawling, just offroading, but I really like the look of flexing XJ's.
Is it worth paying the extra for the flex kit? Or should I get the SuperRide kit?
Thanks.
The difference between the 2 kits is the SF kit doesn't give you swaybar quick disconnects and it uses the rubber bushings at both ends of the control arm.

I think the big difference is in the disconnects. The extra flex in the SF kit comes from disconnecting them easily.

You will still get enough flex out of the SR kit to hit your fenders.
Old 09-08-2011, 02:18 PM

To be honest I have several years of experience with rustys lifts..I've grown up around a local dealer, I've been in several rigs that use Only rustys parts and they have proved to be very worthy...rustys in my opinion is just as good as the higher end lifts including RE...I've been in rigs that were decked out with bds suspensions and they are comparable to rustys...of course rustys isn't going to ride like a town car...it's a jeep it's not supposed to, I can tell you bud that rustys provides a comfortable ride along with a very durable set of products..jumping to a conclusion and saying that I have zero experience with rustys shows that you speak before you know.
How many Rusty's lifts have YOU owned - not including the one you haven't fully installed yet?

I too have annecdotal experience with Rusty's stuff just like you. My annecdotal experience tells me that Rusty's springs are great and the joints they use are garbage.

My friends with Rusty's lifts (and I too know several) all hate the joints - and one is to a point where he is about to scrap the entire Rusty's lift because he is tired of having to replace those joints all the time. Yes they are covered under warranty and yes he gets them with the best of support - but constantly having to change them is irritating.

My Rusty's skid plate is awesome as well.

Quick Reply: Just got an XJ budget, what should I do?