Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jeep Cherokee rear hatch handle broken while shut

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Cherokee rear hatch handle broken while shut

My 1997 jeep Cherokee sport rear hatch has been tough to open for the past couple weeks. I would have to find the "sweet spot" on the handle to open it. A couple days ago the handle now feels like it isn't catching at all. Almost as if the door is always locked, but I keep fidgeting with the key to unlock it. Any ideas as to how to get it open? Or what is wrong with it?
Old 05-29-2011, 05:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by AFalcon
My 1997 jeep Cherokee sport rear hatch has been tough to open for the past couple weeks. I would have to find the "sweet spot" on the handle to open it. A couple days ago the handle now feels like it isn't catching at all. Almost as if the door is always locked, but I keep fidgeting with the key to unlock it. Any ideas as to how to get it open? Or what is wrong with it?
Lean hard against the tailgate with one hand while gurking the latch handle with the other. If that doesn't work then you'll need to go in through the trim panel from inside your cargo area.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

If it has power locks try unlocking it a bunch of times, then go pull the handle like 5-8 times in a row real fast. when you get it open remove the hatch panel and claen and lube the handle. The mech that operates it is pretty basic.
Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l Inline 6

Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96
If it has power locks try unlocking it a bunch of times, then go pull the handle like 5-8 times in a row real fast. when you get it open remove the hatch panel and claen and lube the handle. The mech that operates it is pretty basic.
X2^ mine did the same thing when I bought it from the previous owner, so I got really mad and just started trying to open it really fast and it opened. So I took the hatch panel off and adjusted the screw that goes from the handle to the locking mech. Promblem fixed!