Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

jeep cherokee as a delivery vehichle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jeep cherokee as a delivery vehichle?

I recently got hired at a jimmy johns as a driver. I will be tasked with delivering sandwiches, what concerns me is the wear and tear and mileage ill be putting my cherokee through. everyone tells me my jeep sucks and I should find a job that dosent require me to drive because my jeep uses lots of gas and is so old that it will break down since its 1998. What can I do to properly maintain my vehichle in order for it to last as long as possible? and how can I get better gas mileage? Is the jeep cherokee a good canidate for delivery? I don't know a thing about cars but I'm willing to learn
Old 05-07-2014, 12:11 PM

And so far my jeep has been pretty damn tough only problems I had but fixed were no horn, new tranny new radiator and I think that's it and some oil changes other than that that's it my cherokee just uses lots of gas :/
Old 05-07-2014, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

Originally Posted by cherokeeowner123
I recently got hired at a jimmy johns as a driver. I will be tasked with delivering sandwiches, what concerns me is the wear and tear and mileage ill be putting my cherokee through. everyone tells me my jeep sucks and I should find a job that dosent require me to drive because my jeep uses lots of gas and is so old that it will break down since its 1998. What can I do to properly maintain my vehichle in order for it to last as long as possible? and how can I get better gas mileage? Is the jeep cherokee a good canidate for delivery? I don't know a thing about cars but I'm willing to learn
A piece of junk Honda Civic or something like that would make a better delivery car. You're not gonna have much luck increasing the the MPGs of your Jeep worth a damn.

Why waste your paycheck paying for gas to make money? Just save gas while you're at work and Jeep when you're off.

As far as reliability goes, yeah – it's a very reliable delivery vehicle. It just seems to guzzle gas too much to be worth it for me.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L

I used to deliver in my grand cherokee. I was 16 at the time and drove like a bat out of hell everywhere I went. I would've made more money if I drove a vehicle with better mpg and drove like a reasonable person would. As far as reliability goes, as long as you keep up with basic maintenance you probably won't find something that's more reliable (from the same year as your xj)
Old 05-07-2014, 12:46 PM

Excacly what I was thinking! I can save money instead of using my own gas and puting miles on my cherokee but I was thinking since I have a 2 wheel drive 2wd se edition 4.0 liter. Automatic transmission I can probably save gas by putting street tires on it?
Old 05-07-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cherokeeowner123
A Jeep Cherokee is not fast enough to be a JJ's delivery vehicle. (So fast you'll freak.)

With that said, tell the people that told you that to suck my left nut.

1998? That's not old. What do they expect you to deliver in? A 2013 Honda civic? A Jeep Cherokee is no less reliable than any other vehicle out there...
Old 05-07-2014, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowrange2
A Jeep Cherokee is not fast enough to be a JJ's delivery vehicle. (So fast you'll freak.)

With that said, tell the people that told you that to suck my left nut.

1998? That's not old. What do they expect you to deliver in? A 2013 Honda civic? A Jeep Cherokee is no less reliable than any other vehicle out there...
There's a JJ's in Miami that uses a 2011+ Grand Cherokee. It has a full "Freaky Fast" livery and I think it's a Hemi. If that was supplied to me as a company/delivery car, I'd quit my job yesterday and be delivery subs to stoners asap.

Your XJ is perfectly fine as a delivery vehicle. I doubt being a delivery guy for JJ's is the rest of your life so just deal with it. Buying a car for a job you'll end of leaving eventually is stupid.

You can save gas buy just giving it a tune up. What are you getting right now MPG wise?
Old 05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

I'd consider an XJ for pizza delivery if it gets winter where you are... But being in Florida sorta excludes that. Also no way are you going to make enough on a low dollar item like sandwiches to pay for fuel IMO. Maybe with something expensive or where the tendency is to order a lot, and hence a good delivery fee and possibility of decent tips, which is why I mention pizza.

For something that cheap, if I wanted to make money, I'd look into a cheap small used car. There's a reason people drive Geo Metros and Hondas.

If you decide to go for it anyway, please report back in a month and let us know if you've broken even lol
Old 05-07-2014, 04:50 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I delivered newspapers daily for 4.5 years in my two XJ's and they were the most reliable vehicles that I have owned. Yes, you'll put some miles on it. Just do your routine maintenance and be happy driving your XJ.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

1998 2 Wheel Drive XJ, would make for a VERY reliable delivery vehicle. Provided you do your maintenance, but then that goes for what ever yuou use. Yeah MPG sucks... If you toss stock 215s on it you'll save a couple MPGs, if you are currently running 30" or bigger.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

You will be able to make money delivering in a xj..my cousin use to deliver in his pos blazer with only 3rd gear working because the trans. was in limp mode. Made a little bit of money but overall less than minimum wage after gas.

I would look for a job that does not require you to deliver. The wear on your vehicle just is not worth is unless it is a 200k pos civic/cavalier/etc...
Old 05-08-2014, 12:30 AM

First of all, whoever said It would break down because it was old is an idiot. XJs are bulletproof if everything is solid and they're somewhat maintained.

Anyway you look at it, driving a vehicle 20 times a day is HARD on it. Period.

I delivered out of my 97 back in the day for 2 years, and every time I'd bring it home to my dad when it had a problem he would always say "You're lucky this is a cherokee or it woulda died a long time ago" or he'd say "How the hell did it not break?"

So yeah its' gonna be hard on it. Eventually something major may break, but the thing about XJs is that's exactly what they were made for... taking a beating, parts are cheap for the most part, everything is easy to work on, and insurance is dirt cheap.

Ohhhh yeah! and DO NOT TELL THEM you are driving pizzas in it when you get insurance, I learned that the hard way.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 AM

Year: 1998

yea tell em to blow it out their ***, my xj has 325,000 miles on it. ask them how many miles their vehicles have. you have to really keep up on the maintenance if you are going to do this long term might want to consider looking up how to wire your electric fan up so you can put it on a switch, heat is the biggest enemy in these things and overheating can come quick if your only doing short slow runs.
if you decide to look for a beater look for anything diesel like older vw diesels they do really good on fuel mileage
Old 05-08-2014, 01:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would buy a cheapo eco car and keep the jeep as a back up.My brother is a driver for papa johns when he started he used a 03 crown vic ex cop car with close to 200k on it.He was spending 30 to 40 bucks a day in gas alone in that car.Now he has a 2013 mazda 3 and uses maybe 20 bucks max a day driving the same miles.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Year: 2000

I find that most people (at least at the age I'm at, in high school) who say Jeeps are junk literally have no car at all...I've told people my mpgs before and they assume that since it has bad gas mileage, it must be "a junky car" before I even told them what I drive. I should've told them that a Lamborghini Murcielago gets around 8 mpgs...On the other hand, you really appreciate the kids who are like "hey sick Jeep...It's really a 2000? Thought it was newer."

Don't let your friends tell you a Jeep is unreliable. Sure, some small things can go wrong (electronics, etc.) but the engine is bulletproof (I think it's been a year since the oil was changed...)

I still don't understand who says Jeeps are junk. Maybe you live where there's no snow, but here, everybody loves Jeeps. There are at least 6 or 7 xjs (a few lifted), and many grand cherokees, a couple liberties, and a few wranglers that go to my school (800 students total...small town)

Quick Reply: jeep cherokee as a delivery vehichle?