Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L6
Exclamation Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?

Hey guys here at the Cherokee forum, I finally popped my Cherokee cherry this last June! I'm so happy with my decision on my purchase! I'm 17 and wanted something quick and grew up in the seat of a cj, Jeepster and Comanche so I figured why not buy a jeep? So that's what I did and here I am $600 and rear brake line later with a '94 Cherokee sport. She's totally stock minus the dynomax and pioneer head unit and kicker speakers! To say the least I love the jeep and it's my new obsession! It's got the 4.0 and it runs like a raped ape to say the least and it has 147k on it and hopefully many more! All in all it's rust free but after a dumb quick purchase and lack of inspection I've decided to start undercoating the body of it before I lift it and the works well the floors are shot! I'm a bit intimidated now to wheel it due to the weak floor and experience with a friends shackle mounts being ripped completely off and put through the floor. I'm not necessarily worried about patching my floors but are there anyways of reinforcing the shackle mounts cheap so I can wheel it without those worries? I mean c'mon hats the point of owning a jeep as a DD without it being a weekend warrior ehh? any advice or tips are well welcomed! Thanks guys!
Old 07-15-2012, 02:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Post some pictures of the rusted areas.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:05 PM

Here's all the pictures of the floor rot around the shackle mounts. Hopefully there is some easier solution to this then new floors.... The outside section of floors on outside of unibody is rotted, not the inside. Hopefully a patch will work, suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?-photo.jpg   Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?-photo_1.jpg   Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?-photo_2.jpg   Infamous floor and shackle mount rot, Can I get some suggestions?-photo_3.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 06:34 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0 i6

Yup, that's rust alright
Old 07-15-2012, 06:37 PM

Yeah you said it hahaha. My friends keep advising me it's a giant money pit to replace floors but I'd like to just take the time and put new floor pans in all around and herculining the floors so clean up isn't a big deal when the tube doors go on. Access to a welder isn't an issue but I'd like to just do a simple fix so I can wheel it like it is now, nothing serious just something to keep breakage from happening without having to do a head to toe floor replacement just yet seeing work is just beginning to pick up now.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

wow, thats horrible....Id start over if it were me..
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 PM

You mean as in buy another Cherokee? I figured I can save up a couple hundred bucks and find a decent one with a popped motor. Gas and wire for the welder and all new floor pans all other supplies including beer should rack a couple hundred bucks so why not spend it on another rig and just drop my motor or trans in it?
Old 07-15-2012, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Little Jeep that could
You mean as in buy another Cherokee? I figured I can save up a couple hundred bucks and find a decent one with a popped motor. Gas and wire for the welder and all new floor pans all other supplies including beer should rack a couple hundred bucks so why not spend it on another rig and just drop my motor or trans in it?
I could then just send this rig for scrap after I drop the junk in it from the new one.