Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I think I am starting to hate my cherokee!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I think I am starting to hate my cherokee!!!

I am thinking about just getting rid of my cherokee. NOW my upper control arm bushings are bad. Everytime I hit a but I get this clunking noice. A friend of mine told me that they where the shocks. I took the shocks off and the clunking noice is still there. I start looking around and fine that my upper control arm bushings are bad. Then......... yes I sid then!! Today I have a realy bad scretching noice then I turn my wheels. I mean very nasty noise and it pops every once in awhile. I start inspecting the frontend again and find that on the passanger side the little bolt and plate like thing that holds the spring to the axle if broke off. How in the hell is this possable? I havn't wheeled it much yet at all because I am trying to get all the bugs worked out and I don't think I am going to. Every time I fix 1 problem 3 more pop up.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Registered Users

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89

sounds like the daily grind for me.. im just glad to see im not the only one that has to paddle up-stream to have fun with this sport!
Old 12-11-2009, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

Your jeep is almost 12 yrs old. Things start to go out now. It's much cheaper to repair than to replace.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:19 PM

Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

Hey man i have been there. Since i got my heep in june i have been working on it almost every weekend. Same thing, i fix something, another breaks. But at the moment i am finally doing things that i want to do. I got real frustrated like 2 weeks ago. Someone pointed out i have an 85, it's old and most likely not taken care of. Things break. Hang in there man, it will eventually come around.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With every part you replace and upgrade you open the door for the next weak link to present itself. It's a never ending cycle of build it, break it, fix it, repeat.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Year: 2001
Talking

No, No, No !!!

u r lucky bekoz u r in the USA!!!

it't easy to fix cars there !!!

Old 12-11-2009, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

that's the way of the XJ one step forward 3 steps back.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it!! if you sell the cherokee then you wouldn't be on cherokeeforum.com 24/7.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO

that could be with any vehicle. especially when its modified. even if you sell it, the next vehicle could be the same thing. i dont know if you lifted it or bought it that way either, but there could be a problem in itself. who knows how the previous owner treated it or beat the hell out of it, and now its on you. i would just fix it and enjoy it. if you dont somewhat like to work on the jeep or any mod-ed vehicle, buy a kia.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by djlarroc
Your jeep is almost 12 yrs old. Things start to go out now. It's much cheaper to repair than to replace.
Thats just it, the body and the engine is the only thing that is 12 years old. The long arm lift and EVERYthing is new. All the bushings from BDS is whats going out. Its not wheeled hardy at all. It might go threw a ditch or something but thats it untill I get it straitend out. Its it can't last just driving it on the street then it deffenently wont last off road.

I thought I was building it right so that I wouldn't have these problems. Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 12-12-2009, 09:03 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Its a machine, machines break, if it were'nt for that fact many of us would'nt have jobs. Just keep plugging away at it one prob at a time. Fix what breaks, replace what you modded that did'nt work out or that your unhappy with. If thats not your thing, like a prior post said, buy a Kia, or some other new car your going to trade in every couple years, but I'm betting that would'nt be as fun.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Desert Rat
Its a machine, machines break, if it were'nt for that fact many of us would'nt have jobs. Just keep plugging away at it one prob at a time. Fix what breaks, replace what you modded that did'nt work out or that your unhappy with. If thats not your thing, like a prior post said, buy a Kia, or some other new car your going to trade in every couple years, but I'm betting that would'nt be as fun.
you are right it wouldn't be as fun. I and building this thing for the mountains and offroading. My point is I guess is that if you spend 3 grand on a lift and all the bushings go out whithin 2k miles I would think somthings wrong with this picture. This is mainly all hwy miles also. So if its and offroad rig only I guess afeter every trip out I need to replace all BDSs bushings. Heck of a great lift don't you think!! lol
Old 12-12-2009, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

After spending that much dough, I'd contact BDS and ask "what the hell". Even four wheeling your bushings should last atleast a year or two.
Old 12-12-2009, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997

I see. So yeah, that's your problem then. The lift, not so much the xj. Yeah, I'd get BDS on the phone and ask WTH. Sorry to hear about that too. Man, that sucks.

Quick Reply: I think I am starting to hate my cherokee!!!