Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

I know nothing about Cherokee's, but help me out.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6 cylinder
Default I know nothing about Cherokee's, but help me out.

First off, my name is Jake and I own a boosted Mazda Miata

The motor in my Miata is getting tired from the boost and abuse... aka I'm about to send her under the knife for a buncha stuff, so I'm looking to get another car. Being in college, I've been able to get away without needing a winter vehicle but now that I'm going to be in a house this year, I need a car to bring to school (and not worriy about) and drive through winter.

I set my budget at ~$1,000 and I really wanted something bigger, but I will only buy something stick shift. I've found a bunch of Jeep Cherokee's, which I've heard to be very cheap and reliable. I fell in love. I wanted something I could buy with no problems and just run it. So anyways, after stalking Craigslist for a while, I stumbled upon a very clean 1993 Cherokee. It's a 2 door, 5-speed with 213,xxx miles. Perfect!

Here's where my questions are... From what I know, it's on the stock clutch. I would hate to buy one of these and have to drop money on a clutch replacement, should I be worried? It's also not 4x4, but they're including a set of fairly new all-seasons and a set of winter tires with one winter on them. She says it's gotten her through everything she's had to go through, should I wait until I find a 4x4 or would this be sufficient?

She wants $1,150, what do you think? Fill me in on stuff I should know about these things. Should I be worried about the motor, I'm dealing with enough oil consumption issues with my Miata. Also, if it's 2wd, is it a locking rear end? Or open?

Seems like a great forum so far, I can definitely see myself going too far with this.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

4x4

Miles are high but jeeps do run a while

I'd wait but you won't find much more at that price honestly. $3,000 is a good area.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by CherokeeOutlaw
4x4

I'd wait but you won't find much more at that price honestly. $3,000 is a good area.
I'm not budging on my price range, this is strictly going to be a beater to get me around town while my car is down, the weather is bad, or it's winter.

Basically I'm curious about the following:
  • What should I look for in the clutch? Should I be worried about the mileage if it's stock?
  • Is the 2wd sufficient to get around in the winter with winter tires?
  • How can I tell if I have a limited slip or open differential without opening the case or jacking it up?
  • What else should I know about or look at when I go to check this one out?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

engine mileage is no problem, it will need a clutch or at least a slave cylinder soon

if you want it specifically for winter driving, don't even bother with 2WD
Old 04-08-2012, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6

Your almost guaranteed to have a open diff.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Open the glove box, if it has a factory lsd then it will have a sticker inside stating that
Old 04-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L

Originally Posted by CherokeeOutlaw
4x4

I see XJ's and even ZJ's all day long in the $1000 price range. no need to spend $3000 if he doesnt want to
Old 04-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Check the oil level too because guarantee it's got a rear main seal leak and they might not have kept up on the fluid levels.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

you will not be satisfied with a 2wd, especially with an open diff.

i'd wait till you find a 4wd.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: The legendary inline 6, haven't done anything here yet

Originally Posted by caged
you will not be satisfied with a 2wd, especially with an open diff.

i'd wait till you find a 4wd.
Agreed! Hi Caged how's my favorite tow truck driver ?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: I6

I'm satisfied with my 2wd. It can't do everything but I wheel it pretty aggressive but I know it's limits. But I am selling it nex weekend to buy a 4wd one this summer
Old 04-08-2012, 05:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

XJ and school tuition are oil and water. Either run for your life or sell the Miata now. XJ is only cheep on price of admission, then you will be smitten. That 2wd 2 dorr looks great. Wait for a 4x4, else u will regret it later or be prepared to purchase a 4x4 again in future. Once bitten by the Jeep there is no cure. You will need to continue with a part time job while in school.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by peep
XJ and school tuition are oil and water. Either run for your life or sell the Miata now. XJ is only cheep on price of admission, then you will be smitten. That 2wd 2 dorr looks great. Wait for a 4x4, else u will regret it later or be prepared to purchase a 4x4 again in future. Once bitten by the Jeep there is no cure. You will need to continue with a part time job while in school.
Thanks guys for the input so far, I'll be sure to check those areas to find out if it has an LSD or not.

I'll be keeping the Miata and swapping a rebuilt motor in it, along with a new standalone ECU for a better tune.

I understand that Jeeps can be addicting, but I've heard that they're cheap and reliable for the most part, if you get something that's stock and taken care of. I don't really plan to do any offroading, just riding around town and some fun in the winter. I'd be nice to tear up some mud if I felt like it though.

I don't plan on spending money on anything but maintanience at this point. I was bitten by the mod bug when I first got my Miata, I'm going to do everything I can to resist that this time around. Being limited to ~$1,000, I'm not really sure what else to look at getting. I know there's gotta be stuff out there that's reliable.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:40 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by _spyder
Thanks guys for the input so far, I'll be sure to check those areas to find out if it has an LSD or not.

I'll be keeping the Miata and swapping a rebuilt motor in it, along with a new standalone ECU for a better tune.

I understand that Jeeps can be addicting, but I've heard that they're cheap and reliable for the most part, if you get something that's stock and taken care of. I don't really plan to do any offroading, just riding around town and some fun in the winter. I'd be nice to tear up some mud if I felt like it though.

I don't plan on spending money on anything but maintanience at this point. I was bitten by the mod bug when I first got my Miata, I'm going to do everything I can to resist that this time around. Being limited to ~$1,000, I'm not really sure what else to look at getting. I know there's gotta be stuff out there that's reliable.
A 2WD base XJ is NOT going to have a limited slip.. & even if it did, the stock unit wouldnt worth a crap for any real traction aid. If you buy it and it snows heavy, just sit at home

IMO I would give more than $400 for that pile of rust and would just to turn it into a straight trail beater.

As for only being a manual, All ive ever own and race have been manual trans, your go wheeling oncve and you appreciate the perks of any auto XJ
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 V6

I rarely have to put my jeep in four wheel Actually when the roads are covered here in northeast ohio i Only put it in 4wd when i know i need it. So up hills 4wd low and in 1st gear and when i fish tale in rwd other than that its great in snow

Quick Reply: I know nothing about Cherokee's, but help me out.