Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I know I know

I know this was some what of a topic before and I searched and didn't really get a clear answer. I currently run the zone 4.5in lift but its somewhat rough on the road. Unfortunatly with my new job and a lot of school my jeep is seeing more highway than dirt.

So I wanna upgrade my shocks to something that's more comfortable on run but also can take a beating every once in awhile. Any suggestions?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

Do a shackle relocation in the rear and get some Bilstein 5100s.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 AM
Seasoned Member

sorry for my stupidity but what does the shackle relocation bracket do?
Old 10-30-2013, 12:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L HO

The swing shackle on the rear of your leaf spring will be at a steeper angle than stock if you install a lift. Ideal angle is around 45 degrees, most cheap lift leaf springs/add a leafs will put it around 90 degrees, which causes the rear suspension to not flex well and ride like an unloaded dump truck
Old 10-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Seasoned Member

ok so I was checking some out late last night. I was reading that it will add 1.5in of lift is that correct? If so Im running a 4.5in lift and currently have no sye kit will that be affected?
Old 10-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: I6 4.0L 242

You have a few options:

1) No-Lift or Low-pro Shackle relocators. These require you to cut away your OEM shackle box and install relocators instead. Most of the ones currently made from HD-Offroad Eng and FST allow room for OEM shackles.

2) I installed a set of rear leaf sliders from Liquid Iron Ind. which install up into the OEM box and bolt to the nutstrips. These delete the shackle set up all together in favor of an angled track and UHMW bearing surface. They added approximately 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch over my previously vertical OEM shackles. The install was more or less straight forward but required some trimming of my factory bumper.

Relocators are going to be your cheapest option at roughly 50% the cost of sliders.

AND avoid the silly mistake I made recently after installing my sliders. I neglected to even consider my shock length and now my rear end is MORE stiff than previously with vertical shackles. If you can, unbolt your shocks and cycle your suspension to get a proper fit. If you don't have access to something that can fully cycle your suspension measure your shocks at current ride height and buy newer shocks (bilstein 5125 if you're so inclined) that have a travel range that exceeds your current shock length (measured with a full tank, eye to eye) by a few inches.

As for your SYE, I'm surprised you have no vibes at that height. My $.02, get an SYE. Its just a good idea and most places will sell you a new shaft/SYE combo. At the very least its better than a TC drop. The small addition in height shouldn't affect your pinion angle enough to worry unless you are not already running rear shims to correct.

Otherwise that should about cover it.

Links to parts for ease:

HD Offroad's No-Lift brackets
Froelich's Low-Pro series brackets
Liquid Iron Industries bolt on sliders

Last edited by k4ylr; 10-30-2013 at 10:46 AM.