I helped a cherokee in distress today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Runs
Default I helped a cherokee in distress today!

I was driving down the road this morning and saw a 95 XJ parked on the side of the road with the hood up. Driving closer to the XJ I noticed a guy standing next to it on the phone so I pulled up next to him to see what the problem was. We were looking at what was left of the serpentine belt which was shredded to pieces. Then upon further observation we noticed the idler pulley bearings were gone and the pulley was toast. Everything else seemed to be ok. So I drove him to the nearest auto parts store(Auto Zone) to see if they had a new pulley and belt. Score! Cant believe they had it. We were both carrying tools to do the job. Installed the new parts and checked everything out and he was good to go. It just happened to be that he was going to work which is 1 block away from where my destination was so i was able to follow him the rest of the way in.(20 miles) He made it in just fine. What are the odds right?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Ypu did your good deed for the day!

Wanna change my belt for me, too?
Old 04-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 H.O. Police Package

hell yeah man we gotta stick together!
Old 04-20-2012, 03:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

my xj caught on fire on the side of the road.

a wrangler club passed me. none of them even stopped.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ktmracer419
my xj caught on fire on the side of the road.

a wrangler club passed me. none of them even stopped.
I would never! Ive stopped taken a complete stranger to get a water pump then basically put it on for him on the side of the road. I thought that was just what you do? If I see a lifted jeep on the side of the road I stop every time. I always have tools and oba so I stop.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:26 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Trev1006
I would never! Ive stopped taken a complete stranger to get a water pump then basically put it on for him on the side of the road. I thought that was just what you do? If I see a lifted jeep on the side of the road I stop every time. I always have tools and oba so I stop.

X2!
Old 04-20-2012, 05:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992

My XJ shut down last month on a busy street with traffic, in the middle of the intersection and a fellow XJ driver asked if I needed help. If my buddy wasn't on his way I would have taken him up on it.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 HO

If you have the now-how and the time, its common courtesy to stop and help. Do to others as you wish would be done to you right?(or something like that) Espically with jeeps. If your not willing to get someone else un-stuck, who is gona want to help you?
Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by dougfrompa
I was driving down the road this morning and saw a 95 XJ parked on the side of the road with the hood up. Driving closer to the XJ I noticed a guy standing next to it on the phone so I pulled up next to him to see what the problem was. We were looking at what was left of the serpentine belt which was shredded to pieces. Then upon further observation we noticed the idler pulley bearings were gone and the pulley was toast. Everything else seemed to be ok. So I drove him to the nearest auto parts store(Auto Zone) to see if they had a new pulley and belt. Score! Cant believe they had it. We were both carrying tools to do the job. Installed the new parts and checked everything out and he was good to go. It just happened to be that he was going to work which is 1 block away from where my destination was so i was able to follow him the rest of the way in.(20 miles) He made it in just fine. What are the odds right?
Nice! I always try to stop and help people. Been a little harder since having a kid, can't exactly leav my toddler in the jeep while I put on a belt, but I help within reason.

Its good karma.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:25 PM

Year: 2001

Last week I was driving home and a Cherokee pulled out in front of me with a really flat back tire. I saw them pull into a gas station so I turned around and went back to offer my spare and tools if they needed.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Good on ya man! Where were u when I was broke down on the side of the road lol I can ever get anyone to stop when I need help lol
Old 04-20-2012, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Joies
Last week I was driving home and a Cherokee pulled out in front of me with a really flat back tire. I saw them pull into a gas station so I turned around and went back to offer my spare and tools if they needed.
I carry plugs with me and cant count how many times I plugged other peoples tires. They are always so shocked that I stopped to help and how simple it was to do!

Originally Posted by poorstang
Good on ya man! Where were u when I was broke down on the side of the road lol I can ever get anyone to stop when I need help lol
If I could I would!
Old 04-21-2012, 05:11 AM
CF Veteran

Ya, ive got the industrial size plug kit, when you go wheelin with your dd like so many of us do, you gotta be able to plug a tire to get home sometimes, or the tire of a fellow jeep guy. Regardless of model.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:14 AM
CF Veteran

Another thing, depending where you are think a little bit before you just whip it over, alot of car jackings get set up this way. Someone in distress with the hood up, you pull over, then you get jumped. I live not too far from Detroit and we always hear their news, ive heard of that happening a few times.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Go Vermont. Your more likely to be needed than jacked here. Sucks that you gotta be so leery of the crazies... Not that we don't have some weird inbred hicks rollin around, but they don't often breed outside the family, so your safe... Haha.. Seriously, a hitcher: probably not. A broke down jeep, any vehicle really, but def the jeeps: I'm stoppin. Like said its good karma and the right thing to do.

Quick Reply: I helped a cherokee in distress today!