Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

i did it... got the 98 cherokee sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default i did it... got the 98 cherokee sport

Hey guys well, from past forms I decided to go with the 98 cherokee; i guess XJ model? not sure

anyhow, engine sounds very strong and seems healthy and so does the transmission. I would like to make this vehicle a rock crawler / daily driver. Is that possible? My budget on this build is about $8,000 So, what is it you guys recommend. I am a complete newbie when it comes to jeeps, so have some patience lol

However, the 4x4 high I hear some kind of clunking / grinding noise when turning or reversing and also seems a bit tough to reverse when 4 x 4 is engaged; seems like I have to hit the accelerator a bit more for it to move. again, not sure if this is normal for a 98; Hard to tell. But when I go on the high way on 4 x 4 around 30 + it drives fine and I hear nothing.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0
Default i did it... got the 98 cherokee sport

Every cherokee is an XJ. I'd check to see what transfer case you have before driving on dry pavement in 4x4 again. 242 can be engaged on the road and the 231 is meant for slick surfaces. There's threads on here that will show you how to figure out which one you have.

My best advice is to read as many threads on here as you possibly can. Start with the stickies. Before I got my cherokee I read thread after thread about them around an hour a day for a year or so (Crazy, I know haha... but there's a reason behind it)

Congrats on the new jeep! And addiction...
Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Congrats! 8k is a huge budget! Lucky. Start with lift, tires and lockers. Then go from there. I'm sure others will say different, but it's a good starting point.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

'98 Cherokee is XJ. '98 Grand Cherokee is ZJ. I'd say $8k can make a fine rig. Let's see some pics!
Old 07-07-2015, 12:39 PM

yeah I might take it to the mechanic first so they can check it out. I am just a little concern abotu that 4wd why i hear some grinding and/or clunking noise when reversing in 4wd or turning slow.

anyhow, if i were to get a 6.5 inch lift, would that be idea for my jeep for rock crawlimng? what other stuff should i get if iw ere to lift it that high and take it on the highway going 65 - 70mph

Last edited by willc86; 07-07-2015 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:25 PM

I'm sorry to invade on your post, but I can't make a thread :/

But I'm having the wobble (98 Cherokee sport) I just replaced the Track bar. I just noticed that when I turn my steering wheel from left to right I hear a good clunk noise. My asteeeing where is also off. Is this my steering box? Or ball joints? I lifted the jeep and wiggles both passenger and driver front wheels and only got a TINY bit of play. Please help. I've been dealing with this wobble for months!!!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Yes for starters have the Jeep checked out first for problems that need to be addressed first.

Then don't rush but read here for a few weeks or a month or 2 on lifts in general and all that go with them. The cost of the lift alone is but a very small part of the overall cost to do one properly. That budget is very easy to go through quickly and not be done with a lot of things.

The higher you go in lift the more it costs and anything from 4 1/2" up really should be a long arm setup and use quality parts so you don't to do it twice or more times. Lots to consider tire size, gears, lockers, differentials, shocks, frame strengtheners and the list goes on just read a LOT and then ask questions.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:40 PM

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by D Sizzle
I'm sorry to invade on your post, but I can't make a thread :/

But I'm having the wobble (98 Cherokee sport) I just replaced the Track bar. I just noticed that when I turn my steering wheel from left to right I hear a good clunk noise. My asteeeing where is also off. Is this my steering box? Or ball joints? I lifted the jeep and wiggles both passenger and driver front wheels and only got a TINY bit of play. Please help. I've been dealing with this wobble for months!!!
sounds like a steering linkage problem. i could be the gear bax, but whaat you said about the wheel being off and a little bit of wiggle. my guess is very bad alignment. take it to get align i pretty sure it will solve most your wiggle problems and the crooked wheel. first place to start go from there
Old 07-07-2015, 04:41 PM

i too just bought a 98 cherokee 2 door 5 speed. but i dont have a budget like yours haha. congrats and have fun. keep us posted
Old 07-07-2015, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTANOTHER_1
sounds like a steering linkage problem. i could be the gear bax, but whaat you said about the wheel being off and a little bit of wiggle. my guess is very bad alignment. take it to get align i pretty sure it will solve most your wiggle problems and the crooked wheel. first place to start go from there
I had a buddy look under my jeep while I turned the wheel and it turns out that its the bar that bolts to the passenger side of the Track bar. The original bolt snapped, so I just bought a new one from Lowes. The one that's currently on is too thin. Does anyone know the part number for the original bolt?
Old 07-07-2015, 09:27 PM

what year is your jeep, i can let you know when i go in tomorrow. i work at a dodge dealer.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:44 PM

thanks for all of your input guys! I am definitely going to research before I even start buying the lifts; well, because safety. I definitely do not want my ride to split in half while riding on the freeway, lol!

Anyhow, I was wondering if headers would be worth it on a jeep as well? And down the road, is it possible to have an engine swap to a small block or something? or these jeeps dont do very well with engine swaps?
Old 07-08-2015, 01:06 AM

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by willc86
thanks for all of your input guys! I am definitely going to research before I even start buying the lifts; well, because safety. I definitely do not want my ride to split in half while riding on the freeway, lol!

Anyhow, I was wondering if headers would be worth it on a jeep as well? And down the road, is it possible to have an engine swap to a small block or something? or these jeeps dont do very well with engine swaps?
Well you could swap for a 350 it can be done but it's alot of work. The 4.0 is a great engine I suggest you hold off on buying anything and do your research first. Fix any small issues with your jeep and do a full tune up. Drive around stock for a while until you decide what you really want to do. Today you may think a 6.5 short arm lift is a good idea but a month from now you may say to yourself "well damn maybe I should have gone 4.5 or maybe I shouldn't have settled for this cheap rough country lift". When it comes to lifts you want to do it right the first time. Get familiar with the different types of lifts and different brands. What is required and what is suggested at different heights. Look at build threads here you will come across some good ideas.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:37 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992

Read read read then read again. If you have questions, Dont be afraid to start a new thread and ask. $8k is a huge budget and I could do a lot with that budget. 6.5 inches of lift, you will need a sye, longer brake lines and more. Like stated above. The higher you go, the more expensive it gets. If I were you I would go with a 4.5 inch lift and 33s. In my opinion that's a good height for offroading as well as a daily driver. Then I would do an sye and a locker. Maybe front/rear bumpers and lights.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Read read read then read again. If you have questions, Dont be afraid to start a new thread and ask. $8k is a huge budget and I could do a lot with that budget. 6.5 inches of lift, you will need a sye, longer brake lines and more. Like stated above. The higher you go, the more expensive it gets. If I were you I would go with a 4.5 inch lift and 33s. In my opinion that's a good height for offroading as well as a daily driver. Then I would do an sye and a locker. Maybe front/rear bumpers and lights.
Yes! that is how I was with my dodge dakota. I went with a 3 inch lift, then a 3 inch body lift. I was pretty down, because I wanted an 8 inch lift with 35 tires and solid axles in the front for off roading, but that is when I decided to halt it and get a jeep lol!

I am pretty sure I will want a 6 inch lift. I know myself ;P. Regardless, I am definitely researhcing. Someone even told me I should get a performance tuner if I were to start rock crawling; some headers, a better 4x4 and u-joint. As far as 4x4, what is it that I should upgrade about it? Or should I just leave it as is and fix it up.

But yeah, I am going to ride stock for a bit, get familiar with the trails and see what I really need. They told me at least 6 inch if I go to moab Utah

Quick Reply: i did it... got the 98 cherokee sport