Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Hybrid 4wd, possibly genius or a fools dream?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 "high output"
Default Hybrid 4wd, possibly genius or a fools dream?

I recently got a 94 cherokee 2wd sport with a 4.0 and while it's a fun run about vehicle I want the ability to do some off roading, not like mudding or hardcore off roading just the ability to go over rough environments. I was looking into a conversation from 2wd to 4wd but I was told I needed to swap the transmission, which I'd rather avoid but then I had an idea. I was considering building a batter box with 2 12v deep cycle batteries and adding a beefy alternator to charge them and swap my front axle for a dana 30 and run the drive shaft not to a transaxle but to a electric motor. I know this is far fetched but all I'd. Personally need is the ability to go maybe 20 mph in the front. I'd wire it into the speedometer sensor so that it spins up with the rear end speed. So I ask you fellow jeepers, from an optimistic mechanically savvy young adult with admittedly limited to no 4wd experience is this Even remotely feasible?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

A 4wd swap is easy peasy and MUCH easier than what you are proposing IMO
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by Christopher Bonnie
So I ask you fellow jeepers, from an optimistic mechanically savvy young adult with admittedly limited to no 4wd experience is this Even remotely feasible?
You could probably buy a new ZL1 Camaro for less than what this would cost. lol
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0l

cool idea but difficult to build imo. But that would be pretty cool nonetheless id like to see a little more tech in cherokees and maybe itll help with mpg in stop and go traffic. Gotta think of a location thats safe for the batteries, motor controllers, cooling solutions if it applies, power supply and usage, range and weight tho i seen the new wranglers are hybrid systems now so someone with tons of money will figure out a way to stuff it in a cherokee no doubt

Last edited by EEVEE; 03-11-2018 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee(ZJ)

Originally Posted by Christopher Bonnie
I recently got a 94 cherokee 2wd sport with a 4.0 and while it's a fun run about vehicle I want the ability to do some off roading, not like mudding or hardcore off roading just the ability to go over rough environments. I was looking into a conversation from 2wd to 4wd but I was told I needed to swap the transmission, which I'd rather avoid but then I had an idea. I was considering building a batter box with 2 12v deep cycle batteries and adding a beefy alternator to charge them and swap my front axle for a dana 30 and run the drive shaft not to a transaxle but to a electric motor. I know this is far fetched but all I'd. Personally need is the ability to go maybe 20 mph in the front. I'd wire it into the speedometer sensor so that it spins up with the rear end speed. So I ask you fellow jeepers, from an optimistic mechanically savvy young adult with admittedly limited to no 4wd experience is this Even remotely feasible?
Way more complicated than what you are describing. Kudos for wanting to do such a cool project, and it could work, but it would be expensive. Better off buying a 4x4 and learning about it and have fun with it.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Just the electric motor with enough power to spin the front axle your looking 2 grand or more,Plus the batteries and speed controller for it.For the same 2 grand you can buy a 4x4 xj and have zero headaches.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97

It is an intriguing idea. I have thought about this possibility too, but with using a hydraulic motor run off the power steering pump so that it increases flow and speed along with engine RPM's. Added oil cooling and capacity would be needed of course. I think it could be matched to the same speed ratio as the rear in low gear only. But the first thing needed would be an axle with locking/unlocking hubs.

It would in the end be easier and more beneficial to just do a conversion to 4X4 with factory parts.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:58 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

This guy has already done it...sort of. Not an XJ, but at that point, it makes more sense to just go full custom

Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
This guy has already done it...sort of. Not an XJ, but at that point, it makes more sense to just go full custom

https://youtu.be/OXQZMmCvTEg
Are those skid steer hydraulic drive hubs? Wonder what those hubs are off of?

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03-12-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:21 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Are those skid steer hydraulic drive hubs? Wonder what those hubs are off of?
No, all electric drive motors
Old 03-14-2018, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by roninofako
No, all electric drive motors
Wow, Those are fairly small in diameter so they looked more like hydraulic drives. This is how they should build all cars if you ask me. Diesel/Gas over electric just like locomotives. Just turn the drive motors on or off as needed for front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, 4x4 or even front or rear posi.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

If you went as far and as expensive as you're proposing, you'd be just as well off going full EV with your XJ.

If you
want the ability to do some off roading, not like mudding or hardcore off roading just the ability to go over rough environments
a locker in a 2wd XJ can do wonders.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mschi772
If you went as far and as expensive as you're proposing, you'd be just as well off going full EV with your XJ.

If you

a locker in a 2wd XJ can do wonders.
No batteries would be needed at all, And this is where the current costs and problems are in hybrids and EV. They don't have batteries in locomotives and this has proven to be the most efficient system out there to date. Just a load on demand controlled diesel driving a generator driving electric hubs. (electric trucks) I'll let you do the comparison math, but here's food for thought. A 2000 HP diesel in a locomotive can pull 40 million pounds on flat land.

You would be completely eliminating the transmission and differentials yet have more flexibility with drive wheel options, it would weigh less, and the savings on the no longer needed parts would make up for any additional costs for the generator and hub assemblies. I think it could be cheaper or at least an even trade as far as costs go. And ten times easier to produce, maintain, and repair because there are a lot less moving parts.

They could have moved this direction 50 years ago like locomotives but won't do it.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 03-14-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997

I understand the concept, but that doesn't change how the effort and cost of implementing it would compare to options like a regular 4wd conversion, a full EV conversion, or just trying a locker in the rear. I'm all for creativity for creativity's sake--that's worth it on it's own, but if that's what it is, be honest about it because if cost-effective or practical is what someone is going for, there are better choices.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mschi772
I understand the concept, but that doesn't change how the effort and cost of implementing it would compare to options like a regular 4wd conversion, a full EV conversion, or just trying a locker in the rear. I'm all for creativity for creativity's sake--that's worth it on it's own, but if that's what it is, be honest about it because if cost-effective or practical is what someone is going for, there are better choices.
My curiosity would be how to carry an extra 5 or 10 gallons of electricity for extended trips and how many hours it takes to dump this 5 or 10 gallons of electricity in the vehicle before you can continue your offroad trip?

Our country is too big for EV to ever be practical, unless you are OK with being tied to an electric umbilical cord and it's limited range. It would help the offroad environment though if no one had the range to ever get to it and enjoy what we pay taxes for.

Would we run electricity out to and set up charging stations in Organ Pipe National Monument so that folks can get back home?

Quick Reply: Hybrid 4wd, possibly genius or a fools dream?