Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

How much could I sell my XJ for?

Old 06-13-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question How much could I sell my XJ for?

The XJ is an AMAZING vehicle, but the getting 11.5 MPG is killing me and my wallet. I was looking into getting a Jeep CJ-7 and making it as efficient as possible, or is this a bad idea? I love their style and have heard that they can get close to 21 MPG under certain conditions without a lift and good tires but on the other hand they don't have any airbags, are crummy on the highway and storage space is very limited.

If I were to sell my Jeep how much do you think I could get out of it, and where is the best place to sell it? Craigslist, Ebay, Dealer,? It has a few bells and whistles on it already, listed below and I think that might boost the price a bit? I was looking for at least 4 maybe 5 thousand if I am lucky? Remember I am probably going to sell it in the MD/DC/VA market.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic, Automatic transmission
Engine runs perfectly and all routine maintenance is kept up to date
No major rust on it, and only a few minor paint scratches,
Interior is very clean, no spills or stains present
Air conditioning, elec mirrors, windshield wipers and all four windows work
Has a C8.25 rear
Factory rear towing package
Factory gas tank skid, transfer case and front end skid plates
Rough Country 3 inch lift kit
1 inch wheel off sets
Rock Hard 4X4 bumper with Warn D-rings and relocated fog lights
Five 30 inch with five rims from a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yakima roof bars and wind deflector
Factory speakers replaced with sony speakers and head unit
Tuned CB Radio (Should I sell this with the vehicle or not, does it matter?)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Jackillac92
The XJ is an AMAZING vehicle, but the getting 11.5 MPG is killing me and my wallet. I was looking into getting a Jeep CJ-7 and making it as efficient as possible, or is this a bad idea? I love their style and have heard that they can get close to 21 MPG under certain conditions without a lift and good tires but on the other hand they don't have any airbags, are crummy on the highway and storage space is very limited.

If I were to sell my Jeep how much do you think I could get out of it, and where is the best place to sell it? Craigslist, Ebay, Dealer,? It has a few bells and whistles on it already, listed below and I think that might boost the price a bit? I was looking for at least 4 maybe 5 thousand if I am lucky? Remember I am probably going to sell it in the MD/DC/VA market.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic, Automatic transmission
Engine runs perfectly and all routine maintenance is kept up to date
No major rust on it, and only a few minor paint scratches,
Interior is very clean, no spills or stains present
Air conditioning, elec mirrors, windshield wipers and all four windows work
Has a C8.25 rear
Factory rear towing package
Factory gas tank skid, transfer case and front end skid plates
Rough Country 3 inch lift kit
1 inch wheel off sets
Rock Hard 4X4 bumper with Warn D-rings and relocated fog lights
Five 30 inch with five rims from a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Yakima roof bars and wind deflector
Factory speakers replaced with sony speakers and head unit
Tuned CB Radio (Should I sell this with the vehicle or not, does it matter?)
am I the only one the finds this comment in bold funny? both are terrible gas mileage. if you want a good mpg vehicle get a hybrid
Old 06-13-2010, 02:17 PM

I know there both terrible MPG wise, but CJ7 would have marginally better gas mileage. But on the other hand I could improve the MPG on the CJ7 by having less agressive tires, no lift, manual transmission and working on the engine solely for fuel economy?
Old 06-13-2010, 02:20 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
am I the only one the finds this comment in bold funny? both are terrible gas mileage. if you want a good mpg vehicle get a hybrid
For him this might be a legit question that does not require a smart @ss responce. Take this crap to another forum if you can't contain yourself.

To the OP.... you could probably get $4500 for this jeep maybe more... I would go with Craigslist because you will get more interested buyers. I would probably start out at 5k and list all the bells and whistles. Let em talk you down from that. You will not get any better mpg from a CJ though. Those things are guzzlers and you would have to find one that is in top performing condition to get any resonable MPG, even with small tires. Bad MPG goes with nice looking 4WD rigs. If its MPG you are worried about look at one of the manual shift cherokees and just drive it stock. That will save you a ton. Or just drop yours closer to stock. And do a craigslist trade for a nice set of stock rims with some cash from the other person. At least this is what I would do.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

With how your jeep sits right now, It should get very very close to stock MPG. You dont have a roof rack that blocks to much air, You dont have majorly aggressive tires, You have a mild lift.

I would put some money into making your current cherokee better in the fuel department

But if you really do want to sell it, Like posted above $4500 seems reasonable.
Old 06-13-2010, 02:46 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by ken72
For him this might be a legit question that does not require a smart @ss responce. Take this crap to another forum if you can't contain yourself.

To the OP.... you could probably get $4500 for this jeep maybe more... I would go with Craigslist because you will get more interested buyers. I would probably start out at 5k and list all the bells and whistles. Let em talk you down from that. You will not get any better mpg from a CJ though. Those things are guzzlers and you would have to find one that is in top performing condition to get any resonable MPG, even with small tires. Bad MPG goes with nice looking 4WD rigs. If its MPG you are worried about look at one of the manual shift cherokees and just drive it stock. That will save you a ton. Or just drop yours closer to stock. And do a craigslist trade for a nice set of stock rims with some cash from the other person. At least this is what I would do.
pull the stick out of your butt. geez man relax. wasn't a smartass comment I find it funny that he wants to replace a gas guzzler with another gas guzzler.

OP if you seriously want good gas mileage get rid of the xj and forget about a cj. buy a honda or toyota. the cj even stock will get right around the same. you can poor all the money you have into gettting the cj better mileage and all it will do is maybe 1 or 2 mpg better. you should poor that $$ into a good MPG vehicle.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Keep the XJ, and buy a older Honda, (Civic or CRX, Some model of crx's got 45-50 mpg.)! With the money you save on gas, Pay off the XJ. (If you still owe anything.)
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Does not make sense to sell a gas hog for a gas hog. If you have the extra money why not work on making your cherokee get better mileage? Plus I'd bet you get 4k max for your xj

Last edited by Quazzimoto; 06-14-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:34 AM

You didn't say how many miles you have on it.

Say he wanted to increase his mpg? What is that investment.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Custermustache
You didn't say how many miles you have on it.

Say he wanted to increase his mpg? What is that investment.
Could be a little could be alot.. Depends on how far you want to go. 2000 is OBDII so you could do full exhaust, intake, TB spacer, and a tuner and see an increase. Or he could go as far as putting it back to stock then do all of the above. You could gear it, which in his case wouldnt do much cuz the tires are pretty close to stock size. decrease your unsprung weight, the list goes on. The approach you take really depends on the style/type of driving you do.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

The 11.5 mpg is the bigger tires on stock gears. There's guys here that run 35's and have installed the proper gears and get around 22 mpg on the highway.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

There is a way to increase gas mileage....free. I'll give you a hint. You walk with it and it is on the right side of your body.

I average 15 to 17MPG some freeway and a LOT of stop and go.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Donnie_K
The 11.5 mpg is the bigger tires on stock gears. There's guys here that run 35's and have installed the proper gears and get around 22 mpg on the highway.
No way in hell a tire thats only a couple inches bigger than stock and maybe a few pounds heavier is cutting his fuel mileage in half... Cmon think ab it. Its a combination of things, more than likely he has a heavy foot, or simply a poorly maintained xj.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

this is true. I'm running 31's on stock 3.07 gears in my 5 speed and can get about 17-18 mpg.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:37 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Comanche

For comparison to the last comment I am running P235s in a 5 speed and get about 17-18mpg. Although I may have a tad of a heavy foot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much could I sell my XJ for?