Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

How do you carry your gear in your XJ? (tools etc)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6 cylinder
Question How do you carry your gear in your XJ? (tools etc)

Alright, so I know that alotta people carry extra parts, tools, etc with them in their XJs, I was debating on building a tool box for the back cargo area of my Jeep, something that could be easily accessed, an have enough room in it to keep at least the lil stuff contained as well as a way to secure larger items such as a jack etc.
After all said items just floating loose could cause a major hazard in the untimely event of a roll over, or major bumps .
So, how do you do it?
Old 02-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: flux capacitor

I use a military ALICE pack without the frame. I bought 4 of them at a surplus store for $30 They're made of tough canvas and have quite a bit of storage plus you can add extra pouches/pockets to them similar to a MOLLE set up just alot cheaper
Old 02-02-2011, 01:24 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I do it like this!!
in the first pic you can see where there is space behind the boxes after i put the top on to store over size othe goodies

Old 02-02-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by jfiedler
I do it like this!!
in the first pic you can see where there is space behind the boxes after i put the top on to store over size othe goodies

I saw the pics up of yours on one thread the other day an actualy was considering something similar to what you had done, cept compartment off the drawers an bring the top further across an maybe bolt it down to the sj so it aint commin up accidently an even putting either a liner coat or carpet over the top to kinda blend it in a bit.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LadyBloodRose
I saw the pics up of yours on one thread the other day an actualy was considering something similar to what you had done, cept compartment off the drawers an bring the top further across an maybe bolt it down to the sj so it aint commin up accidently an even putting either a liner coat or carpet over the top to kinda blend it in a bit.
Yeah, my next thing is gonna be to carpet it with some outdoor caret ontop or something like that. I have a complete set of tools in there just about. i just used the trays they came in double sided taped them into the drawers.

The idea of bolting it down sounds real good. Im gonna work something up for that. maybe plate the oustide with a thin metal on the sides, use a 90* bracket and screw with a self tapper or something into the cargo floor. just gotta check to make sure i dont go through the fuel tank!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:30 PM

yea goin threw the fuel tank was my worry haha or hittin somethin else which would be my luck lol!
I am actually gona try an take the top of mine out a bit further then yours, sorta cut it so it goes around the tire wells just to reduce the risk of anything possibly fallin down in there that i don't want an would have to pull everythin out just to get to that would be a pain in the butt!

my dad also got his hands on a bunch of the nylon cargo netts like what you see across the back of a pickup with no tail gate, these look alil widder I was considering sizin up one of those as well an figure out a way to secure it (with clips0 just behind the back seat to help prevent anything from back there from some how magically coming up front to say hello.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 AM

Year: 1992
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0 Liter

I went to the Swapmeet and picked up an old tool box for $10 that had been gutted out. Its almost as long as the cargo area and like maybe a half a foot wide. Painted it all black and it fits 2 jugs of radiator fluid(had an overheating problem fer a while), a tow rope, 2 screwdrives, and any sixteenths wrench, some open end wrenches, WD-40, a flashlight, and a repair manual. Does a good job for me.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:05 AM

Well my dad droped off the net for me this morning, he had bought my mom a butt load of them from the flea market. After getting it an lookin at it it aint a tail gate net! its a saftey net made by Sala from CaptiolSaftey.com It looks like one that can be put on racks to keep boxes an other heavy items from potentially falling. Either way the thing is strong an has3 sides with D ring clips. It will easily stretch from one side of my cargo area to the other, and easily from ceiling to floor.
Now comes the fun of figuring how how to secure it ^^.