Sponsored by: DashLynx

How did the Jeep Cherokee get its name?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default How did the Jeep Cherokee get its name?

I read a thread about the origin of the word "Jeep" but I haven't found anything on why the Cherokee was named this way.

Does anyone know what led to the Cherokee to be named this way? I would really appreciate some information.

All I know is that: the word Cherokee is derived from the Choctaw language; it comes from the word 'Cha-la-kee' which means "those who live in the mountains," but this has to do with the indian tribe...does it has some connection to the XJ?
Old 05-12-2011, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

How does any car get its name? Guys in suits and focus groups spitballing and thinking up names for their vehicles. All of that and somebody still though the name of Probe was a good idea.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:00 PM

Yes. I know that, but they come up with the names somehow, don't they? I just wanted to know if anyone knew what they base the name on.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990

cherokee is a indian tribe to if im not mistaken, probably just liked the name and the description u had for what it means fit so they went with it :P
Old 05-12-2011, 06:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

It's a little known fact that the second choice name was "Flaming Death Trap", the marketing people thought it would be too much of a challenge to try sell a high profile vehicle with that name so they stuck with Cherokee.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Seasoned Member

i thought they went with cherokee because that was already the project name for the Ford Pinto?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

pinto means "little *****" and nova means "no go".

not sure where they got the name cherokee, as it's from the early FSJ's, then we got the cherokee chief and the comanche.
but i've never heard of a "grand cherokee" in a tribe...
Old 05-12-2011, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I did a paper on this a while ago and got to talk with one of Jeep's Exec's. This is what he told me:

When Jeep was making the Grand Wagoneer and started looking at a 2 door, "sport" version, they looked for a name that communicated 2 things: strength and civility. The Cherokee nation is well known as one of the toughest Native American people groups. The suffering they withstood while being driven out of the southern Appalachian mountains was unimaginable. Many died during the long trip to the Midwest (mostly done on foot), yet, they are the largest Native American group today. While they were still in the NC/SC/GA area during the colonial times, they were included among "The 5 Most Civil Tribes". These two character traits locked in the name for the new 2-door sport utility vehicle. When Jeep introduced the XJ, they wanted the same aspects to be communicated in the name of their new SUV. Thus, the Cherokee name continued.

Whether he was giving me a bunch of BS or not, I don't know, but it's a cool story none the less.

Last edited by no rdplz; 05-14-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 5.9

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Native Americans used to take those old Jeep plastic elbows and make arrow heads out of them. They would use a piece of deer antler and nap the edges of the elbow until it was the shape of a arrow head, and then they would secure it to the shaft of the arrow with thin strips of rubber from the wiper blades. They would fashion a quiver to carry their arrows in out of the seat belts and sagging headliner. When in battle with other tribes or the white man. they would run out of arrows and then start hurling used crank shaft position sensors at their enemy. They are a very resourceful people.

Originally Posted by Jmb94
It's true. The Southeastern Indian nation was, in fact, named after the SUV that they sustained their livelihood from.
This.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:39 PM

Year: 1998

How does any car get its name? Guys in suits and focus groups spitballing and thinking up names for their vehicles. All of that and somebody still though the name of Probe was a good idea.

HAHAHAHAHA yeah who thought Probe was a good idea HAHAHAHAHA
Old 05-12-2011, 10:56 PM
Seasoned Member

the le baron was also an amazing name for a car :P
Old 05-13-2011, 02:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Trail Of Tears=Cash4Clunkers
Many were lost, but those who survived emerged stronger.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by no rdplz
I did a paper on this a while ago and got to ta with one of Jeep's Exec's. This is what he told me:

When Jeep was making the Grand Wagoneer and started looking at a 2 door, "sport" version, they looked for a name that communicated 2 things: strength and civility. The Cherokee nation is well known as one of the toughest Native American people groups. The suffering they withstood while being driven out of the southern Appalachian mountains was unimaginable. Many died during the long trip to the Midwest (mostly done on foot), yet, they are the largest Native American group today. While they were still in the NC/SC/GA area during the colonial times, they were included among "The 5 Most Civil Tribes". These two character traits locked in the name for the new 2-door sport utility vehicle. When Jeep introduced the XJ, they wanted the same aspects to be communicated in the name of their new SUV. Thus, the Cherokee name continued.

Whether he was giving me a bunch of BS or not, I don't know, but it's a cool story none the less.
Awesome, that sounds perfect, thank you. I knew I would find an answer here.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 AM
Seasoned Member

It's a little known fact that the second choice name was "Flaming Death Trap", the marketing people thought it would be too much of a challenge to try sell a high profile vehicle with that name so they stuck with Cherokee.
that was great!!! rotflmfao
Old 05-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by Esmeralda
All I know is that: the word Cherokee is derived from the Choctaw language; it comes from the word 'Cha-la-kee' which means "those who live in the mountains," but this has to do with the indian tribe...does it has some connection to the XJ?
The word Cherokee is not necessarily derived from the Choctaw language word for the mountain people. The Cherokee word for theirselves is Tsa-la-gee, the meaning of which could be translated as people of the mountains, but it is unlikely due to the fact that one of their central creation myths is that a great eagle descended from the sky when the world was flat, flapping his giant wings. When the wings were in apogee (upstroke), they created mountains. When they were in perigee (downstroke), they created valleys. Thus, from the perspective of that tale, the entire world was thought to be mountainous, at least according to the Cherokee. I believe the Mohawk (another of the 5 civilized tribes) have a similar creation myth.

Phonetically, the Choctaw and the Cherokee words for the Cherokee people are very similar (tsa is a voiced palatal consonant, as is cha, with a slightly different lingual placement on the hard palate. G is the voiced version of K), but since the Cherokee were the dominant tribe in that part of the south, it is likely of Cherokee origin and simply a mispronounciation on the part of the Choctaw. The only tribe that really even rivaled the Cherokees in that part of the United States were the Creek. It is important to remember, however, that the Cherokee were the first native people to have a written language (circa 1830) and remained the only literate tribe for quite some time.

For more information, read James Mooney's "Sacred Formulas and Myths of the Cherokees."

Sorry for the long discourse, but I am a published author on the Cherokee Indians and it's one of my favorite subjects.

Quick Reply: How did the Jeep Cherokee get its name?