Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hesitation: gone!!!

I'm almost still expecting it to happen every time I drive cause for a year it's been happening.
Here's he issue: a lot of time when I'd start my 99 XJ up and either after letting it sit for a min or whenever I'd start to drive, it would start to hesitate like the throttle was stuttering, make a popping-backfire noise from manifold and would run rough until it was shut off and restarted, most of the time this was done while moving... I got sick of pulling over...
The CEL never kicked on so I began replacing this and that in a vain effort to eliminate this issue. My list looked like this:
-new plugs/wires
-new cap/rotor
-TPS
-IAC valve
-gas lines blew out
-tank droped and pump/filter assembly inspected as well as tank wiped out.
-pressure test at fuel rail
The TPS and or IAC seemed to make the biggest difference.
So the issue didn't go away, but got less frequent. Then it got to where every time it was started it would do it. I found that going WOT for a few sec would get it to clear up. Then the CEL came on! So new o2's went in and issue went away and mpg's went from 11 to 18.
Yeah!!! But it didn't end there. The issue soon returned. And not untill just the other day did we actually resolve the issue for good.
A different mechanic than the one that did a lot of original work for/with me (when I had time) was working on it this time. He dropped tank and what do ya know? A thick layer of grit and debris in there. All sorts of things: leaves, lots of sand, an old seal prob from pump, a spring.... WTF? do I have enemies, or was the mechanic hat said he checked it the first time a total BS'er???? Either way idk and will prob never know, but at least the tank is clean, the old totally thrashed pump is gone and she runs like a top! Huzza!
Old 10-10-2011, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Well done! Congratulations!

Sounds like someone did the pump once and didn't care much about a clean workspace.

I hate hearing things like this. It tends to give the vehicle a bad reputation when in all reality its the previous owner or owners garbage work.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.o

i knew it those pesky Vermont boys can't be trusted. Haha. thats great that it cleaned out now. next time i'm in Stowe i'll buy the first beer.