help me out here please

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L I4
Unhappy help me out here please

i have a 93 cherokee xj 2 door 2.5 4WD I don't know all too much about these trucks

i just bought it, and love it to death, but the rear hatch is stuck. when you push in the button to open the hatch, it does nothing, just goes in aimlessly. The locking mechanism is all jacked up, and theres no way a key is going into it.

I beleive the previous owner lost the key and just drilled it out of something. the glovebox is the same way. i would really like to be able to open and close the hatch, and i would really like to be able to do so without damaging it. Is there a way to get inside of it and get it open from the cabin?

If so, please help me out.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

im pretty sure i read on naxja people take interior panel off and can open it some how. people get frustrated when this happens i know some people install a pull cord on inside incase happens again
Old 02-20-2010, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 2.5l 4 cyl

mine did the same thing but not as jacked as that. try hitting it with the palm of ur hand and if that dosent work. get a pry bar and stick it in there and pry on it.(AFTER U PUSH THE BUTTON) and then take off all the rusted metal aroubd the latch on the inside and spray the hell out of it with wd-40 and keep working it till it is all right and opens by it self when u hit the button.
Old 02-20-2010, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 HO

Sounds like the latch is in the locked position. When you lock it, the button just pushes with no resistance, which sounds like your case. I'd say remove the plastic panel from the inside and manually pull the lever. Then you can try to fix it from there or you can run a cable to the lever.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 2.5L I4

well could you be more specific with the removal of panels? just the panel on the hatch? i heard that its really hard and they almost always break
Old 02-20-2010, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 2.5l 4 cyl

Originally Posted by mentalhelp815
well could you be more specific with the removal of panels? just the panel on the hatch? i heard that its really hard and they almost always break
the only thing that breaks if u take the pannel off is usually the lil push plug things tht hold the pannel on the hatch thats all u need