Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help me decide how to lift Xj..

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help me decide how to lift Xj..

Hi y'all, I just picked up a 98 jeep Cherokee, great shape, 120k miles, real nice. Now I want to lift it up some, I think I wanna go with 32" tires. Can I put 32s on my stock wheels?

How much of a lift do I need for 32s? There is a 3" rough country lift kit on eBay for $250, it's coils, add a leafs and 4 shocks. Then I see kits with control arms too. What is the benefit of doing the control arms as well?

I want to keep my fender trim, and don't reall wanna cut anything. So is 3" lift enough to fit 32" tires? If not how bout 31 s?
Old 04-16-2012, 10:11 PM

First off awesome buy. love the late model cherokee's. theres a search button on top of screen and there are tons of info answering these same questions. will give you the pro's and cons and what to expect.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 PM

Year: 2000

On jcwhitney.com there was a 4" lift with coils, and blocks, and all 4 shocks with hardware including u bolts for 150 an you can fit 32s on there because you don't have to worry about hitting the long arm so you can use your stock rims. Have it done in a day no problem and not brake the bank
Old 04-16-2012, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Aftermarket control arms are far superior to OEM bent sheetmetal control arms.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by stup73
On jcwhitney.com there was a 4" lift with coils, and blocks, and all 4 shocks with hardware including u bolts for 150 an you can fit 32s on there because you don't have to worry about hitting the long arm so you can use your stock rims. Have it done in a day no problem and not brake the bank
^ Not like this. Stay away from blocks.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:08 AM

Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Originally Posted by sthon

^ Not like this. Stay away from blocks.
Is there a thread on here that will tell me what is so bad about blocks! Because I don't understand why!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dylan86cherokee

Is there a thread on here that will tell me what is so bad about blocks! Because I don't understand why!
Blocks aren't as bad on a full size truck because of a stronger leaf, but blocks on a Cherokee will cause leafs to wear significantly faster and possibly cause axle wrap
Old 04-17-2012, 12:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4litre

Not to mention the terrible axle wrap
Old 04-17-2012, 10:03 AM

I think I'm gonna go with the 3" lift with coils, add a leafs, and all new shocks. Should I go rough country? Or zone lift kits? Zone claims there is no need for bumpstops...
Old 04-17-2012, 10:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Proper bumpstops are always a good idea.

Rubicon Express FTW!!
Old 04-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

A lot of us think Rubicon Express, Old Man Emu, Deaver, Clayton ect are better for lifts as the quality is better, but are obviously more expensive.
"Bottomfeeder" lifts like Skyjacker, Rough Country ect will do the job but quality is lower, as is the price.
You can choose which route you want to go, but a higher quality lift will last longer and you'll be happier.
As for shocks people suggest Bilstein, or fox. And most "white body" shocks are the same.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Ok so I'm gonna go with the zone 3" lift, all new springs in the back instead of the AAL, gonna run nitro shocks as well. I will rarely ever do any wheelin, this is mainly for looks and my kids to get a kick out of.

Now if I wanted another inch out of her, could I add spacers to the front and shackle the rear or would you guys advise against that?

I got some great bfg all terrains now to go with it, 31x10.50/15. Should I run them on my stock wheels? I'd like them to stick out just a bit more, so what would a good back spacing be if I were to get after market wheels? And what are some cheap black wheels out there that I could go with?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Ya if you wanna go higher later down the road you could do a spacer in the front and shackels in the rear, or a shackle relocation box. But if you do you may have to get a SYE for the transfercase or a transfercase drop kit. (SYE is the better way to go) and you may need longer shocks, brake lines, and new control arms, and definitely a new adjustable double shear Trac Bar and Trac Bar drop bracket. Usually you need most of those things when going to a 4.5" lift.

Now as for wheels most people just buy some cheap Black steel wheels like D-Windows, Or Soft 8's and the most popular size people get is a 15x8. But you could go 15x7 or even up to a 15x10 and still run the tires you picked out comfortably. For Backspacing most use a 3.75" or a 4" the smaller the number the more they Kick outward. And of course the higher the number the more they will tuck closer to the body.

Also check out some of the Vendors here on the forum you can usually get really good deals from them because they give a cherokee forum discount. Like SeriousOffroad who Posted above. And others aswell. Good luck with your build and the nice find on the Cherokee.

Last edited by aquickmopar; 04-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Zombie4x4
I think I'm gonna go with the 3" lift with coils, add a leafs, and all new shocks. Should I go rough country? Or zone lift kits? Zone claims there is no need for bumpstops...
You'll be rubbing all day long with 32's and a 3 inch lift. Hope you're ready to lose your front fenders... whether it's because you take them off yourself, or if your tire rips them off is a different story.

Im on a 4.5" lift from RC (the 4.5x kit) and I still rubbed to the point that I ripped a fender flare off. Now I pulled the flares, and bumper caps off and finally don't rub on 32's, but don't expect to put a 32" tire on your 3" lift and be able to drive normally. When you start flexing, it only gets worse.

Save up the extra money and get a bigger lift. You'll want it when you realize a 3" lift is a baby lift a year down the road anyway. Do it right the first time.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:58 PM

im only going with 31s. i should be ok then right? i dont want to cange gears or add all kinds of parts. im not gonna be doing to much off roading. mainly cruising around town.

Quick Reply: Help me decide how to lift Xj..