Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help identify

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default Help identify

Posted this in my build thread, but hoping for more visibility here. I don't trust myself to identify axles just yet as I am new to the Jeep game. Thought it might be a 44. Was on the way out as my local JY was closing and I noticed this in a pile off to the side. Only snapped one pic and kicking myself for not getting a wider shot or more pics. Can't remember if it was on the right and upside down making it a passenger side drop or if it was on the left and upside down making it what I need. Again, kicking myself, but they were closing and I didn't have a lot of time to investigate. So I am wondering if it is even worth going back to check.

Even looking at the axle info posts I am second guessing myself as to what it is. I know some of you have better trained eyes for this sort of thing.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It looks like a 44 and it is passenger drop see the leaf spring mount on the bottom of the left side of the center housing.And honestly a 44 is not worth a swap to me at all,For what the swap cost you can go 1 tons a tiny bit more.A 44 is only good to a 37 inch tire fully built where a 1 ton aka dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear can run 44s if built up.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:18 PM

Default You mean this?

Thank you for the help. No stranger to The JY, but always for replacement parts and not specific upgrades. I do have a question though. You mean this? Because the axle is upside down, meaning that would end up on the top right. Would that indicate a driver side drop?

As far as the D60, there is an F250 on the lot with a matching Sterling 10.5 rear. I don't know if I plan on running anything bigger than 35 (right now). If this is a usable 44, I have talked with a guy about a Ford 9 for the rear and feel like that would be a pretty competent combo. Not that I haven't looked into the 60, but it seems like more fabrication and modification. Honestly probably beyond my current skill level.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:57 AM
CF Veteran

f250 is a dana 50 not 60 and you gotta watch those the super duty they run a metric bolt pattern.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:58 AM

Default 05 F250

It's an 05 F250 and I think that was the year they switched over. The problem is everything being cast into the housings.

D60?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

You will need the matching re end from that truck so its a easier swap,And how many miles are on that truck ?