Headliner problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO I-6
Default Headliner problems

Since the search isn't working in the CF App I mind as well just ask my question. So what is everyone doing with there sagging headliners? I know they make staples or a thumb tack type thing but I'd rather do it the right way. Any insight on this hideous problem is greatly appreciated. I'm tired of being eaten by my roof.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output

I've never tried tacks and pins just because I knew it would take a TON of them to hold the headliner up evenly and securely and I didn't imagine that would look any better than the sagging headliner. When mine was sagging I pulled out the shell, removed the old fabric, found some new that matched (or people have done camo), and put the new on with the headliner adhesive. You can get it from any parts store. I think I payed like $10 a can. The shell is easy enough to remove but the key thing is to prep the surfaces well and don't cheap out on the adhesive (as well as giving it plenty of time to dry). If you rush it, like I did twice, it just ends up sagging again a week later and you have to do it all over again.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Any tricks to pulling the shell, or just remove all the trim and out it slides? I will be doing this job in the warmer weather.....also, when the shell is out will there be access to the roof rack screws? I put silicone over the screw heads after brushing off the surface rust, just to get thru the winter.....because I was taking on water via the rack (at least that where I think it was coming in, and now it isn't...), so I'd like to fix that the right way as well............
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output

To remove the shell it's just a matter of removing the trim, all the overhead lights, soundbar, sun vizors, rearview mirror, and rear upper seatbelt pulleys. The first time I did it I went into it blind and just started pulling things off. It is much easier than it would seem. The hardest part is putting it back in without twisting the hell out of the shell. It would be best to have an extra set of hands to help with that part. As far as the roof rack screws I can't remember. I think there's an upper "frame" bar/rail that the screws go into. You may be able to access them once the shell is removed but I'm not entirely sure of that.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:33 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6
Talking

OK, thanks for the info!