headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default headlight problem

Hi everyone, Quick headlight repair question.

"99 Cherokee 4.0
Headlights (high and low beams) stopped working.

Bulbs good, 4 fuses (3,4,5,and 16) are good, but fuse sockets don't appear to have any voltage present.

taillights and running lights work

bulb socket are grounded

multifunction switch new

Flash to pass works (is this called the dimmer)

Haynes (12J12-50010) page 12-34 would lead me to believe there is a disconnect somewhere between the headlight switch and the beam select switch. my problem is I don't know what some of the designations are ,like S200,L2 G108 Any help would be appreciated before I'm forced to run a switched hot wire.Thanks in advance
Old 04-16-2012, 09:16 AM

I finally solved my headlight problem. Which was The Smell of Burning Wires, Intermittent Headlights then no headlights or high beams,but momentary flash to pass was still working.
Started out visually quick checking connection for headlight pull switch,which appeared good, changing Multifunction Switch (high/low light switch -turn signal stark ) without getting any change. I could still only get headlights by manually holding high beams on while driving.
Finally pulled (previously checked) headlight switch apart. Where I discovered burn marks around two outlets of connectors. Found that if I ran jumper between two outlets I could run headlights to get lights no interior lights or running lights (another outlet of connector controls that) so I made a three way jumper.
But when ever I put connector back together,connector would heat up smoke and began to burn and if memory serves the fuse (small,yellow 20 amp, middle row, last on the right hand side) in power distribution center (engine compartment) would blow. Bought another pull light switch.and installed. No change. Switch heated up. I did not leave attached until smoke started.
Thought it may be harness (please no) after much (weeks) of Internet searching and and a little deduction. I discovered that the rear license plate light is part of this circuit.
Check This Out.
The bulb still worked. But it had a tiny hole in the back of the bulb out of sight,unless bulb was removed. I changed changed bulb and everything is back to normal. Including interior lights. Has been working trouble free now for months

My thoughts are that maybe the bulb had leaked the necessary gas,causing bulb to draw too much current. Don't know why fuse did not blow all the time. Fuse did not blow when circuit was jumpered but would blow when connection with switch connector was made. Hope this helps someone else.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats nuts! Good find though, and good to know. My trouble currently in my 95, is the headlights work (high/low), but none of the other lights that are supposed to turn on with the headlights do (dash/parking/rear running, all not turning on). All fuses were replaced and nothing still. Thinking its the headlight switch? Makes the most sense, I just haven't checked it yet. Is it hard to replace?
Old 04-18-2012, 09:38 AM

If it's like my '99, It has two knee panels under steering wheel. one plastic,one metal, that has maybe a total of six screws to remove. After removal, reach up behind light switch for push button Shaft Release Button. Push the button while pulling the headlight switch full on. The **** and shaft will release and pull free of the switch. You are left with a recess nut that you can use screwdrivers on. unscrew nut. Switch will now drop down from under dash. unplug ,replace. First time 1/2 hour, second time 5 minutes.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/hea...val-how-80165/
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, got it out, replaced it. Still nothing. =/
Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 AM

Check to see if you have voltage to the fuse. I got the feeling that the circuit runs through the signal stark switch before the fuse. Maybe the fuse is not getting power.