XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Head unit STOOPID

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 05:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Head unit STOOPID

That's me. I'm head unit STOOPID!

I need a new stereo for my XJ. BUT, I've been out of the stereo scene so long I don't understand the lingo well enough to do an adequate product search. So I'm asking for help here.

Here is what I'm looking for:

Blue face to match my dash

Ipod controller that does not plug into the front. I hate wires dangling. I want a dedicated cable to my Ipod in the glove box.

Rear aux input for my Sat radio. (See above post about unnatural loathing of dangling wires.)

That's it. Seems simple enough until I start searching for it.

if you have a unit in mind please post a link.

Thanks
Old 03-16-2012, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

Do you want to maintain a CD player? If not, check out the new Sony mechless units. Instead of a CD slot, the face folds down to reveal a iPod/usb tray. Depending on the unit, they also have usb and aux in on the face. Great head units. We sell a ton of them.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

It seems it's getting harder and harder to get a HU that has rear USB output. I do recommend a pioneer HU if you can. Also, the closer to to the 200 dollar mark you are the better... IMHO... I'm all about decent SQ and it seems like anything under like ~180 bucks lacks the necessary components. 3 pre-outs (mostly its about needing the option to run amplification to the front set, the rear set and the subs specifically. Also the HPF (high pass filter, the thing that limits how low of a frequency the speakers will drop to. Basically limits excess bass and distortion from cab speakers. Things like this are good to consider, but it's all about the level you are going for. A you planning on running subs?
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM

If I do run a sub it will be a small one, possibly a powered sub, that can be removed easily.

I hadn't considered a mechless unit. All my music is Ipod so I don't need a CD player...
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Ive been looking into something similar and havent found many with a rear usb. What i have found to be a perfect match is Kenwoods 2011 models. Im looking into buying the kiv-bt901. The kiv models dont offer a cd player but have pandora integration rear usb, rear 3.5mm in, and an audio/video rca in. The kdc units starting with the 7xx have a cd player, rear usb and a rear aux. You may find them in audio shops as clearance or open box, amazon amd ebay should still have new models.

Good luck stoopid lol
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM

Just spent some time looking at Mechless units. LOooks like I can get one pretty cheap and with the features I want.

My ears aren';t sensitive enough to notice the difference between a $99 and a $200 HU. But my wallet notices very quickly. LOL

Thanks for the input!!!!!