H3 Off Road Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default H3 Off Road Bulbs

What's the brightest H3 bulbs everyone has used? I've got two hella driving lights mounted on the bumper and am looking for a whiter bulb over the old stock ones. I've searched and searched and keep finding fog lights or regular headlights. They'll be used for off road only so I guess I'm looking for spotlights. Just looking to see what everyone has had luck with, thanks.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.6 I6

Well first thing to make sure is that you are using a flood style light if you are trying to light up a big area. Also led pods will throw a huge amount of light and take a beating better than a filament halogen bulb.
Old 03-16-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your optics are good quality, a high-end bulb without any stupid long-life, cool blue, daylight, or whiter gimmicks from Phillips, Narva, or Osram is the best you're going to get bulb-wise. There are 100 and 130 watt H3's out there, but often they are poorly made, and the quality 55 watt bulbs will actually provide you with more effective light. Any improvement beyond that has to be done with better optics (housings).

Last edited by mschi772; 03-16-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by shooptube
Well first thing to make sure is that you are using a flood style light if you are trying to light up a big area. Also led pods will throw a huge amount of light and take a beating better than a filament halogen bulb.
I would love some pods or LEDs of some sort, but I got these for free so they'll do for now.

Originally Posted by mschi772
If your optics are good quality, a high-end bulb without any stupid long-life, cool blue, daylight, or whiter gimmicks from Phillips, Narva, or Osram is the best you're going to get bulb-wise. There are 100 and 130 watt H3's out there, but often they are poorly made, and the quality 55 watt bulbs will actually provide you with more effective light. Any improvement beyond that has to be done with better optics (housings).
They have 100w Osrams in them now. They're way brighter than my stock high beams, but that's not saying much. I can't really find where anyone has compared brands head to head. I think I'll just have to chance it and buy whatever peaks my interest.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:41 PM

Are the wired on a relay harness? Preferably 14-10AWG depending on the run length to support that kind of wattage. If not, that's a BIG problem.

I'm concerned that you're expecting too much from a Hella housing with H3's. But for more information, you can't do any better than talking to the guys over at http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ycles-Included

Just talking bulb brands?

Good
  • Phillips
  • Narva
  • Flosser
  • Vosla
  • Osram

Sylvania is straight mediocre.

Bad
  • PIAA
  • IPF
  • LightForce
  • Catz
  • Anything else not listed in the above good list

Last edited by mschi772; 03-16-2017 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:06 PM

Yes I have them wired with a harness and relay. Haven't heard of a few of those brands so I'll look into those. Isn't sylvania made by Osram?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Danger12
Yes I have them wired with a harness and relay. Haven't heard of a few of those brands so I'll look into those. Isn't sylvania made by Osram?
Sylv is owned by Osram, but do not fall into the trap of thinking they're the same. They are not.