Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Grand Cherokee Diesel turns out to be super dud

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Grand Cherokee Diesel turns out to be super dud

My 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with the EcoDiesel has become the worst nightmare vehicle I have ever owned. Now with about 55K miles on it here are some of the issues I've had (actually its my wife's car):

Wouldn't stop properly on 3 occasions - finally replaced brake booster, known issue
Some emissions sensor fell out, car wouldn't restart in 100 miles, left us stranded in MD (we are from CT). This is apparently a known issue to Chrysler.
Had continuous shuddering on upshifts - eventually replaced both engine heads. (out of service for weeks) - another known issue to them.
A month later the engine seized, left us stranded on a back road in MA, at night. Chrysler replaced the entire engine (out of service for a month +)
Paint blistered on hood - Chrysler replaced hood
Transmission failed - Chrysler replaced entire transmission - out of service for 5 weeks.

In 50+ years of buying automobiles, other than a car I tracked, I've never replaced a motor. I certainly never replaced a tranny or heads on a motor.

Chrysler's answer to my request to help me get out of this lemon and into a new gasoline powered Grand Cherokee was to give me an extended warranty. I asked the dealer's GM what good is that when my wife is stuck on the side of the road? I also asked him if he would let his wife drive a car like this.

So, sorry to say, this will be my last Jeep.

Last edited by ctjeep; 12-24-2017 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't get me wrong i love jeeps but won't buy anything newer then a wj or tj.The last 10 years jeep has been on the worse reliable cars list,Now that fiat owns them they are on the list now also.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

deleted - can't post image

Last edited by ctjeep; 12-24-2017 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 05:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ctjeep
My 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with the EcoDiesel has become the worst nightmare vehicle I have ever owned. Now with about 55K miles on it here are some of the issues I've had (actually its my wife's car):

Wouldn't stop properly on 3 occasions - finally replaced brake booster, known issue
Some emissions sensor fell out, car wouldn't restart in 100 miles, left us stranded in MD (we are from CT). This is apparently a known issue to Chrysler.
Had continuous shuddering on upshifts - eventually replaced both engine heads. (out of service for weeks) - another known issue to them.
A month later the engine seized, left us stranded on a back road in MA, at night. Chrysler replaced the entire engine (out of service for a month +)
Paint blistered on hood - Chrysler replaced hood
Transmission failed - Chrysler replaced entire transmission - out of service for 5 weeks.

In 50+ years of buying automobiles, other than a car I tracked, I've never replaced a motor. I certainly never replaced a tranny or heads on a motor.

Chrysler's answer to my request to help me get out of this lemon and into a new gasoline powered Grand Cherokee was to give me an extended warranty. I asked the dealer's GM what good is that when my wife is stuck on the side of the road? I also asked him if he would let his wife drive a car like this.

So, sorry to say, this will be my last Jeep.
Engineers just got to take something good and ruin it. I think it is part of their job description.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 249 Likes on 199 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by Bugout4x4
Engineers just got to take something good and ruin it. I think it is part of their job description.
X2..... back in the day they knew how to recognize a solid formula and not screw with it... I'm referring to the full years beginning to end of the SJ and XJ.
No vehicle is perfect, but those they did a fairly decent job on.
These new ones... no way I'd touch one to own. Sorry you got stuck with that one.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RocketMouse
X2..... back in the day they knew how to recognize a solid formula and not screw with it... I'm referring to the full years beginning to end of the SJ and XJ.
No vehicle is perfect, but those they did a fairly decent job on.
These new ones... no way I'd touch one to own. Sorry you got stuck with that one.
It all stopped about 1973. everything after was junk. lol
Old 12-25-2017, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

It all stopped about 1973. everything after was junk. lol
years ago I had a 79 SJ that was pretty damn solid.
I know what you're referring to with that year specifically....but I just meant with the SJ and XJ, that while there are other things that we have to do to keep them going, the main drive-train was of pretty solid design.
I could afford to buy a brand new vehicle, but for years have refused to because of garbage like this that is produced these days.

I mean lets face it... the day they build the perfect vehicle... everyone else will be out of business.
There are a lot of factors....but initial quality and built with planned obsolescence is part of the design these days for not just vehicles, but most things in our modern world. I think it sucks and is irresponsible by those in charge of these decisions...but it's hard to fight city hall and win.

Last edited by RocketMouse; 12-25-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

years ago I had a 79 SJ that was pretty damn solid.
I know what you're referring to with that year specifically....but I just meant with the SJ and XJ, that while there are other things that we have to do to keep them going, the main drive-train was of pretty solid design.
I could afford to buy a brand new vehicle, but for years have refused to because of garbage like this that is produced these days.
Absolutely. I would put 20k in an older one first. And when the older ones are gone I'll get me a Mule before I buy a new one. lol
Old 12-26-2017, 03:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Its pretty sad when vehicles not even 5 years old with only 55k miles need a new transmission, heads, and even an entire engine when vehicles that are 20, 25 or even 30 years older, some being neglected for years, with over 100k miles have yet to need any of that stuff.
Old 12-26-2017, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Its pretty sad when vehicles not even 5 years old with only 55k miles need a new transmission, heads, and even an entire engine when vehicles that are 20, 25 or even 30 years older, some being neglected for years, with over 100k miles have yet to need any of that stuff.
It's Malicious intent.

Definition...

Malicious intent refers to the intent, without just cause or reason, to commit a wrongful act that will result in harm to another. It is the intent to harm or do some evil purpose.

They are designed to break for profit. GM started it, and now it's common practice because we all keep buying into it anyways.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998

My coworker has been suing chrysler for the last 2-3 years over transmission issues with his gas WK2. It really is just a minor issue, but they won't fix it or even acknowledge that it's a problem. They were not prepared for his stubbornness .

But yeah with all the new fanciness on these new vehicles I'll just continue to throw money in to the XJ until the unibody cracks. Then I'll find another one and start all over again. I can't even remotely begin to justify what people are paying for new cars these days.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wizardpc
My coworker has been suing chrysler for the last 2-3 years over transmission issues with his gas WK2. It really is just a minor issue, but they won't fix it or even acknowledge that it's a problem. They were not prepared for his stubbornness .

But yeah with all the new fanciness on these new vehicles I'll just continue to throw money in to the XJ until the unibody cracks. Then I'll find another one and start all over again. I can't even remotely begin to justify what people are paying for new cars these days.
I don't know why but Chrysler has always had transmission problems off and on. I know for sure the engineers intentionally sabotaged the transmission in my 3500 dually.

But if it is not related to a real safety issue, and be proven to have caused numerous deaths, they won't do anything about it. None of them will.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:55 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wizardpc

^^^ I couldn't agree more. I could afford to buy a new or much newer vehicle... but like you, for years I just can not justify the cost. Plus even though our older XJ's throw a fit every so often, they are issues we can deal with and fix ourselves.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:09 PM
CF Veteran

I don't know why but Chrysler has always had transmission problems off and on. I know for sure the engineers intentionally sabotaged the transmission in my 3500 dually.

But if it is not related to a real safety issue, and be proven to have caused numerous deaths, they won't do anything about it. None of them will.
Case and point with American car manufacturers... While I agree as an American, that buy American is a good thing.... sometimes companies here tend to shoot themselves in the foot.
I know of a study done several years back that Chevy wanted to stay on the DL big time... they were having serious issues with one of the transmissions that they used in a good number of vehicles in their line-up... and they kept failing on customers with not a lot of miles on them....
They couldn't figure out what was wrong with them...so.... they called up Toyota corporate in Japan and asked them if they sent them the technical schematics for their problem transmission would they build one for them. Toyota agreed.
After it was delivered to Chevy... they tested it and tested it and tested it some more putting hundreds of simulated miles on it and could not get it to break.
They called Toyota up and asked them what they did differently because they could not get it to fail.
Toyota's response: We built it to your specifications. In Japan, parts are built to spec and spec only. Which is what makes their vehicles more costly to build and sell. Because they do not allow "tolerances". The part is either correct or it doesn't make it into the car/truck. And so it was determined that Chevy's design for the trans was a very solid one, it was their production processes that was allowing the room for failure to occur.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:20 PM
CF Veteran

Case and point with American car manufacturers... While I agree as an American, that buy American is a good thing.... sometimes companies here tend to shoot themselves in the foot.
I know of a study done several years back that Chevy wanted to stay on the DL big time... they were having serious issues with one of the transmissions that they used in a good number of vehicles in their line-up... and they kept failing on customers with not a lot of miles on them....
They couldn't figure out what was wrong with them...so.... they called up Toyota corporate in Japan and asked them if they sent them the technical schematics for their problem transmission would they build one for them. Toyota agreed.
After it was delivered to Chevy... they tested it and tested it and tested it some more putting hundreds of simulated miles on it and could not get it to break.
They called Toyota up and asked them what they did differently because they could not get it to fail.
Toyota's response: We built it to your specifications. In Japan, parts are built to spec and spec only. Which is what makes their vehicles more costly to build and sell. Because they do not allow "tolerances". The part is either correct or it doesn't make it into the car/truck. And so it was determined that Chevy's design for the trans was a very solid one, it was their production processes that was allowing the room for failure to occur.
I know I'm probably going to start something with this statement... But the root problem is unions. Cause and effect.

They have a term for it in Russian that I can't remember right now, but the definition is poor workmanship caused by the "we don't give a crap" situation.

Quick Reply: Grand Cherokee Diesel turns out to be super dud