Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Good test for my 97 GCL!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Good test for my 97 GCL!

I hauled my 17 ft flat traier and quad up to my property in Oregon, I was also loaded down with gear/supplies, probably about as big of a load as I feel comfortable hauling. The terrain starts with the flat Sacramento Valley up through Shasta and into southern Oregon then directly east toward Lakeville, Oregon. The climb is from about 50ft above sea level in the valley to over 5200 feet over the Shasta range. I averaged 14 MPG at about 55 mph average, half freeway, half highway and a few miles of dirt roads. I was a bit apprehensive about the dirt roads because the main dirt road is fine but the last few roads to my property can be a bit challenging. The final stretch to my spot takes you down a 200 ft+ snake turn with a fairly steep short drop into a draw then straight back up about another 200 feet, I had this portion of the road worked on last year so going in was no problem but that dirt was still a little soft so I was worried about coming back out. I'll tell you the Cherokee handled it GREAT, spun the tires a little coming up that snake turn because of the soft/wet dirt but it never felt like it wouldn't make it. The new BF Goodrich AT's were AWSOME and the difference in my opinion. IF I had stuck with the tires I had I don't think I would have made it though that road, it was a wise investment.

Without the trailer I drove over to my brothers a few miles away down similar roads and it handled GREAT, never once did I feel like I couldn't make it up or down or around. I pushed it a little because I've never had a 4WD vehicle besides my ATV's and I was quite impressed at the handling and comfort. I never felt like I was being bounced around inside the cabin like my dad's old Ranger and with the Cherokee's more narrow chassis it was an easy fit down these roads.

The thing that swayed me toward the Cherokee over the competiting brands were all the off road reviews I read, it seemed hands down the Cherokee was the better choice if any off roading were being done.