XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

is this a good deal? looking at a 92 xj limited

Old 04-14-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default is this a good deal? looking at a 92 xj limited

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2323913232.html

I looked at it today, drove it around and had my dad who is a mechanic check it out. The tires are brand new with only 1500 miles on them, it has around 152k miles, and the engine is in really good condition. Car looks REALLY good for it being almost 20 years old. Black paint with gold stripe and lettering. Leather interior in okay condition(just a small tear in driver seat that's it) and the headliner is coming down which i can fix. It was brought from cali which means little to no rust at all. The transmission isn't too good, it doesn't shift unless you accellerate alot. doesn't idle too well when you first step on the gas a bit it kind of shakes. needs new shocks and brake pads. We talked the guy down to 1800, and my dad seems pretty confident in being able to fix it up for around 1500 dollars maybe less. does this jeep seem worth it?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Seams a little steep but with no rust not a bad deal. Think your Dad is over estimating how much it will cost to repair. Looks like a solid Jeep. Personally I buy Jeeps that were in crashes and have never payed more then 500 for one. But with no rust or body damage your ahead of the game. If you have the cash you will be happy with the out come. Of course without checking it out my self.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Year: 1992

So it would cost $3,300 after purchase/fix up cost. The XJ in my profile pic is...

MINT Black '92 Limited with only 93,000 miles for $3,700

4X4 Perfect Condition
Leather Seats dont look like theyve been sat on
2" lift with NEW 31" tires
Some autozone offroad lights
Sirius Satellite

IMO the one you are looking at isn't a bad deal but I would look for one that is mid $2,000's and doesnt need anything.

PS: Mine isn't for sale. I was just stating everything that it had when I bought it.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Adjust the throttle pressure cable to take care of the shifting problem, do a complete tune up and replace the crank sensor just as cheap insurance. For less than a couple hundred bucks it should run pretty sweet. $1800 seams like a fair price, but $1500 is even better. When it does finally shift, is it a solid shift, or does it just kind of slip into the next gear? Solid is good.

Last edited by Bustedback; 04-14-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99
Engine: 4.o

Originally Posted by JeepBrah
So it would cost $3,300 after purchase/fix up cost. The XJ in my profile pic is...

MINT Black '92 Limited with only 93,000 miles for $3,700

4X4 Perfect Condition
Leather Seats dont look like theyve been sat on
2" lift with NEW 31" tires
Some autozone offroad lights
Sirius Satellite

IMO the one you are looking at isn't a bad deal but I would look for one that is mid $2,000's and doesnt need anything.

PS: Mine isn't for sale. I was just stating everything that it had when I bought it.

Love when people say mint let me see it for 5 min and I'll make a list. Not trying to knock you but almost all older rigs have some issues no matter how mint the owner thinks they are. Its a solid deal. If you think your going to buy a rig that old and it needs nothing you don't know what to look for. Meaning you don't know jack.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 PM

Year: 1999

thanks for the replies guys. and jeepbrah that just sounds waaaay too good to be true. haha.

So i'm positive that I'm gonna have this car within the next week, guy said he'll hold it for me until then. Me and my dad are gonna put alot of effort in fixing and cleaning it up as much as possible before I even start driving it though. I don't know a whole lot about cars, but my dad has restored dozens of show cars within his lifetime, and knows what the hell he is doing unlike me. Within a few weeks this xj should be running crisp.
I'm trying to talk my dad into letting me purchase a 3" lift with the new shocks, but he seems to be fighting me tooth and nail on this.

and the shifting seemed solid to me as well btw.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

You're going to have to buy two Cherokees. Once your old man starts working on yours, he'll get the itch and want one too.

Last edited by Bustedback; 04-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by brutalxj
Love when people say mint let me see it for 5 min and I'll make a list. Not trying to knock you but almost all older rigs have some issues no matter how mint the owner thinks they are. Its a solid deal. If you think your going to buy a rig that old and it needs nothing you don't know what to look for. Meaning you don't know jack.
Don't want to start an argument. Come out this way and check it out! Bring all the tools and knowledge you want.

Last edited by JeepBrah; 04-15-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by Derp
thanks for the replies guys. and jeepbrah that just sounds waaaay too good to be true. haha.

So i'm positive that I'm gonna have this car within the next week, guy said he'll hold it for me until then. Me and my dad are gonna put alot of effort in fixing and cleaning it up as much as possible before I even start driving it though. I don't know a whole lot about cars, but my dad has restored dozens of show cars within his lifetime, and knows what the hell he is doing unlike me. Within a few weeks this xj should be running crisp.
I'm trying to talk my dad into letting me purchase a 3" lift with the new shocks, but he seems to be fighting me tooth and nail on this.

and the shifting seemed solid to me as well btw.
Hey man I found a diamond in the rough. Come to Lancaster and check it out!