Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 11:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6
Default General maintenance check list

I have a 1993 Cherokee, specs in my sig. At less than 90k miles it was a great find but that can also mean it spent a good amount of time sitting. We all know how sketchy previous owners can be, so I'd like help compiling a solid list of simple maintenance to take care of. Not only will this help to put my mind at ease but it might help others looking to quickly and easily make sure their Cherokees are running top notch. If you all can give input I can update the list here so the info is easy to find.

What I've got so far is:
1. Tune-up (spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor).
2. a. Oil change, plus new oil filter.
2. b. Run Seafoam through with oil for a few hundred miles then change again.
3. Other fluids (Coolant. What else should be changed? Brake, transmission, differential? Others?).
4. Clean or replace air filter.
5. Check tire wear and pressure, rotate or inflate/deflate as necessary.
6. Checks all bulbs, interior and exterior (Why not just upgrade to H4s and LEDs ).
7. Inspect brakes, discs obviously easier to check than drums.
8. a. For quick and easy, run Lucas Oil injector cleaner or Seafoam through a tank of gas.
8. b. For those more comfortable with it, pull and clean or replace injectors (opportunity to upgrade to 703s or 784s).
9. Clean throttle body (or get it bored by xjfiles!).
10. Replace fuel filter (only accessible on pre-97 XJs I think).
11. Fresh O2 sensor(s). Not necessary but I've read they can go faulty without completely failing so could be beneficial.
12. Suspension and steering bushings. Check for too much play, seizing or dry rotting on: drag link, tie rod, track bar, anti-sway bars, control arms, leaf packs and shackles.
13. Check torque on lug nuts and suspension bolts (can someone find the link with factory torque specs?).
14. MOARRRR?

Any and all suggestions welcome. If you think things should be added or removed just let me know.

Last edited by RememberTheMallamo; 11-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

check torque specs on lug nuts and suspension bolts
Old 11-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: Straight 6

No other input?
Old 11-07-2012, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Originally Posted by RememberTheMallamo
I have a 1993 Cherokee, specs in my sig. At less than 90k miles it was a great find but that can also mean it spent a good amount of time sitting. We all know how sketchy previous owners can be, so I'd like help compiling a solid list of simple maintenance to take care of. Not only will this help to put my mind at ease but it might help others looking to quickly and easily make sure their Cherokees are running top notch. If you all can give input I can update the list here so the info is easy to find.

What I've got so far is:
1. Tune-up (spark plugs, wires. What other components should be replaced?).
2. a. Oil change, plus new oil filter.
2. b. Run Seafoam through with oil for a few hundred miles then change again.
3. Other fluids (Coolant. What else should be changed? Brake, transmission, differential? Others?).
4. Clean or replace air filter.
5. Check tire wear and pressure, rotate or inflate/deflate as necessary.
6. Checks all bulbs, interior and exterior (Why not just upgrade to H4s and LEDs ).
7. Inspect brakes, discs obviously easier to check than drums.
8. a. For quick and easy, run Lucas Oil injector cleaner or Seafoam through a tank of gas.
8. b. For those more comfortable with it, pull and clean or replace injectors (opportunity to upgrade to 703s or 784s).
9. Clean throttle body (or get it bored by xjfiles!).
10. Replace fuel filter (only accessible on pre-97 XJs I think).
11. Fresh O2 sensor(s). Not necessary but I've read they can go faulty without completely failing so could be beneficial.
12. Suspension and steering bushings. Check for too much play, seizing or dry rotting on: drag link, tie rod, track bar, anti-sway bars, control arms, leaf packs and shackles.
13. MOARRRR?

Any and all suggestions welcome. If you think things should be added or removed just let me know.

1) Add dizzy cap and rotor.
3)Replace those fluids if need be (aka they look dirty or there is issues with the componets related to it)
7) The drums should be inspected even if they are hard to get off.

This is what I would recomend...
Old 11-07-2012, 08:13 PM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't run Seafoam through for any more than 20-30 miles on an XJ that you haven't been doing maintenance on on the first time.

1/3 can in a full tank, 1/3 can in the intake (motor off, pour some in, turn it on, rev til no smoke, shut off and repeat), and 1/3 in the oil for 15-20 miles prior to oil and filter change. You don't want to knock but so much crap loose or you run the risk of clogging your fuel filter, fuel lines, injectors, ect.

Do the can in those 3 spots then do it again on your next oil change or two then start spacing it out every other or every third oil change.

As for other stuff, I like to replace the hatch struts if they look old. I also dump baking soda all over the carpets and seats and let it sit for a day or two then vacuum it out. Goes a long way for getting rid of that old Jeep smell they tend to get. I also run through a car wash that sprays the undercarriage and let it get the underside real good. Really helps when you start going to wrench on it. I also like to go ahead and replace all the fuses just so I know when they were all changed last.

Last edited by motorcharge; 11-07-2012 at 08:15 PM.