XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Gas leak

Old 12-17-2013, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L L6
Default Gas leak

Um..so..What is this and how do I stop it from leaking? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Gas leak-037.jpg-copy.jpg  
Old 12-17-2013, 04:46 PM

So I'll answer my own question and say its a fuel pressure regulator. Should I shell out the $50 for a new one, if so is it a simple change out with minimal fuel dripping, or more labor intensive?
Old 12-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

If you buy a new one I don't think you'll ever have to replace it again, so I'd go that route. And they are fairly simple. Just do yourself a favor and relieve the fuel rail pressure before you start taking the regulator out, otherwise you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by torque062
If you buy a new one I don't think you'll ever have to replace it again, so I'd go that route. And they are fairly simple. Just do yourself a favor and relieve the fuel rail pressure before you start taking the regulator out, otherwise you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Cool. So already bought the part, and apparently my year (92) has the relief valve. Although I don't see it in the pic. The repair manual makes it sound like a piece of cake, so maybe I won't be out in the cold all night.

Makes me nervous wondering how long it's been leaking. Scary business dripping gas right onto the exhaust manifold. On the up side maybe fixing it will stop it from cranking so much to start, and possibly smooth out the idle??
Old 12-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

Originally Posted by OldLaredo

Cool. So already bought the part, and apparently my year (92) has the relief valve. Although I don't see it in the pic. The repair manual makes it sound like a piece of cake, so maybe I won't be out in the cold all night.

Makes me nervous wondering how long it's been leaking. Scary business dripping gas right onto the exhaust manifold. On the up side maybe fixing it will stop it from cranking so much to start, and possibly smooth out the idle??
Just do it while the engine is cold. And yes with the leaking regulator fixed, your extended crank issue should be fixed. And depending on how bad it had been internally leaking you might also see an improvement in idle quality, not to mention fuel economy!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:24 PM

Okay, I got the new one in, and the leak has stopped. The jury is still out on the cranking/idle issue. Will take some more starts to know for sure.

Now my worry is the gap that's pictured. The old one fit flush with the housing, this one has a gap. You can see the o-ring all the way around. Should I keep an eye on it for awhile then forget about it and call it good, or should I pull the part and return it for one that fits perfectly? Will that o-ring wear out from exposure? Is it overtightened maybe? I didn't have to work hard at all to screw it down, but it definitely didn't want to just slide in.
Attached Thumbnails Gas leak-036-2-.jpg-copy.jpg