Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ? on g/cherokee

I know its a g/c ?,I'm wondering if the battery is dead completely and you jump the g/cherokee and get it running unhook jumper cables and the g/cherokee wont stay running is it cause of the battery being completely deap ,alternater not working or a combo of them if the alternater is good wont it stay running.G/c has been setting awhile.but if it wont run I 'm not paying 650 for it. thanks let me know if you need anymore info. It will run if you feather the throttle or idle it high if you let accel. go it stalls out?
Old 08-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

It stays running if you give it some gas?

If so, then chances are the battery is just toast (dead cell, internal short, ect) and is sucking the life out of your electrical system. Had the same thing happen on my Cherokee, we jumped it and disconnected the cables, insta-stall. Jumped it and gave it a little gas, and it stayed running. After driving for a while it'd stay running at idle too. A new battery straightened it right out (wouldn't hold a charge, I drove 20 miles to an autozone, turned it off and then immediatly tried to restart to find I had no juice).

It could also be a mixture of dead battery and bad gas, or something else. I'd lean towards the battery, though, and run some Lucas injector cleaner and a fresh tank of gas through it.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Never disconnect the battery while the engine is running, that could cause a voltage spike and kill the PCM. Sounds like your alternator is bad, but it is hard to tell if the battery is stone cold dead. Install a good battery and see if the alternator is charging.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

I had the exact same issue with my Grand Cherokee. Give it gas, it would stay running, let off the gas it died. Turned out it was just the battery.

Last edited by SteelBlue99; 08-18-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Adding more info
Old 08-18-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

All right thanks guys we saw the G/C on the way home tonite and the guy treid and what I explained happened so maybe I 'll drop by with a good batt. to see what happens I got him talked down to 650. from 800. already.It's a bit rusty here and there 1 broken tailight Unitbody is good I6 aw4 tranny 231 tf ofcourse 30 front and I would think turd5 out back,Ohh 1 more ? if the abs light is on will it fail inspection? ny state here for inspec. ty
Old 08-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by rich
Ohh 1 more ? if the abs light is on will it fail inspection? ny state here for inspec. ty
Not sure, since I've never lived in a state with inspection, but if I had to guess I'd say yes, it'll fail. Could be a bunch of things causing that, you should be able to get a code pulled for it easily enough. With luck it's just a bad wheel speed sensor.

You can always pull the bulb and hope they don't plug into the computer.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Year: 1998

Years ago my ex-wife had a Mustang, and the battery blew up at the store. It was sulfated, and when she tried to start it the battery went every where under the hood. I went over, and jumped it, and it started right up. It idled fine, and I put a rag around the positive. She drove it home without a battery. An hour of baking soda, and a new battery. All was good with the world. If a battery is that dead it might just be better to disconnect it. I don't know.