Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.slow
Default Fix or sell for parts?

I have an 01 XJ I bought for parts for my DD. I'm going to use the transmission, transfer, drive shafts to convert my DD to 4x4. I'm going to use the front fender/ bumper/ grill, headliner and miscellaneous interior trim pieces just to make the DD better condition. After all the swaps are done i have a few options. Which would you choose? I can put all the 2wd stuff back into the parts jeep, swap over the damaged body parts and damaged interior and probably sell it for the price I got it for after fixing the motor ( blown head gasket... Surprise right). I could part it out and share the love with CF. Try to sell whats left over as a fixer upper or parts jeep. Help me decide.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fix it and sell it if it's in good shape. If the unibody is in good shape it's kind of a waste to part and scrap it.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by motorcharge
Fix it and sell it if it's in good shape. If the unibody is in good shape it's kind of a waste to part and scrap it.
The blue one is my DD, silver is the parts donor. The silver one is in really good shape but by the time I swap the parts over it'll look not so good being multiple colors. I may be able to get my money back or at least most of it.
Attached Thumbnails Fix or sell for parts?-image-311524298.jpg   Fix or sell for parts?-image-3030853176.jpg  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:57 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by XJGunny
I have an 01 XJ I bought for parts for my DD. I'm going to use the transmission, transfer, drive shafts to convert my DD to 4x4. I'm going to use the front fender/ bumper/ grill, headliner and miscellaneous interior trim pieces just to make the DD better condition. After all the swaps are done i have a few options. Which would you choose? I can put all the 2wd stuff back into the parts jeep, swap over the damaged body parts and damaged interior and probably sell it for the price I got it for after fixing the motor ( blown head gasket... Surprise right). I could part it out and share the love with CF. Try to sell whats left over as a fixer upper or parts jeep. Help me decide.
Where do you live? If you're close enough to make shipping right I may be interested in the header panel and mirrors...
Old 04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

I'm in NC. I'm most likely going to use the header panel.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:22 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I'm in NC. I'm most likely going to use the header panel.

Well...maybe the mirrors...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM
CF Veteran

The blue one is my DD, silver is the parts donor. The silver one is in really good shape but by the time I swap the parts over it'll look not so good being multiple colors. I may be able to get my money back or at least most of it.
Decide what the difference is to you. If I was gonna get smiliar money parting out vs keeping I'd fix it up and sell it just to keep another real Jeep on the road.