Finding a value

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Finding a value

My wife does charity knitting and one of the members, a lady in her late 60s has a 99 XJ she's getting ready to sell. She bought it new and put 127k on it over the past 17 years. She told my wife it was rear ended some time ago but fixed by her insurance with no problems since. She is looking at the book to decide what price to put on it and I hope to look at it this weekend.
My question is what does an accident, with damage fixed by a body shop, do to the value?

I've been searching for a white 99 and this ones bone stock, comes with service records, and has only been driven by an older lady so I'm super interested. I want to buy it right but also be fair to the seller who is a friend of my wife's.

Thanks for any price advise!

Jack
Old 08-06-2016, 11:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Clear title?
location?
style?
4wd?
pic?

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 08-06-2016 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 12:05 PM

I'm in western Colorado. I give my wife credit for noticing a white XJ and asking about it, but all she got is that it's a one owner Sport 4dr. With 127,000 miles and maintenance records. She said it looked nice...
I'm not asking for a price as much as I'm asking for what affect being rear ended, which was repaired by her insurance some time ago, has on the price.

Has anyone bought a vehicle with an accident showing on the car fax? How much did it affect the purchase price?
Old 08-06-2016, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

None of the big three will quote a value or % off retail on a vehicle with a salvage title.
Old 08-06-2016, 01:54 PM

Turbo, Thanks for the reply.

For clarification, I believe it to have a clean title and a car fax showing an accident and regular service. A big bill at the shop recently is reason she's looking at new cars. She wants less miles and less maintenance...
Old 08-06-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

As far as the affect of the accident on value, a lot depends on the extent of the damage and how well it was repaired. Relatively minor damage that was well repaired won't have much affect on value, however if there was frame damage or repairs were done poorly there will be a significant affect on value. This is assuming a clean title, a salvage title lowers the value 50-60%.

2WD or 4WD makes a big difference as well, normally a 4WD '99 with those miles would probably be worth around $4k-5k (probably half that if it is traded into a dealer) assuming it is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition (again severe or poorly repair previous accident damage will lower this substantially). A 2WD is not likely to be worth much more than $2k. Obviously damage, rust, or major mechanical issues can lower these significantly.
Old 08-06-2016, 03:39 PM
CF Veteran

Clear title and repaired to OEM standards (without other sources you would never have known), no effect on price.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by dmill89
As far as the affect of the accident on value, a lot depends on the extent of the damage and how well it was repaired. Relatively minor damage that was well repaired won't have much affect on value, however if there was frame damage or repairs were done poorly there will be a significant affect on value. This is assuming a clean title, a salvage title lowers the value 50-60%.

2WD or 4WD makes a big difference as well, normally a 4WD '99 with those miles would probably be worth around $4k-5k (probably half that if it is traded into a dealer) assuming it is in good mechanical and cosmetic condition (again severe or poorly repair previous accident damage will lower this substantially). A 2WD is not likely to be worth much more than $2k. Obviously damage, rust, or major mechanical issues can lower these significantly.
/\/\ Exactly the info I was looking for! 👍

My wife remembers seeing Sport and 4x4 so it's the right model. This being the desert rust isn't usually on local vehicles like this one, but it is the first thing I look for.

I'll post pic and details if this comes together. Thanks to both of you for the responses!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would still pay a shop $1-200 to check out everything to see what other problems it might have worth the money beforehand.

Go to the Kelly Blue Book site and look up the value for it in your area and at that age, the only adds would be for mileage, auto trans and 4wd that's it and a dealer won't go with that many.

Never mind the trade in price just go to private sale to see what its worth in your area code and use good condition (at best) or fair condition what a dealer would call it for a trade.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

Thanks Fred. It's now looking like Tuesday before I can actually see the Jeep so I've got plenty of time to check Kelly and NADA book values. And practice being patient 😳

Since Grand Junction isn't that big I'm hoping to Learn the shop she used to have the repairs done, which will tell me a lot. My wife thinks she just had the CPS changed and, if so, I'll go to that shop and talk to them.

Jack KC0RBK
Old 08-09-2016, 12:05 PM

Finally got a look at this elusive 1999 XJ. Been garaged most of its life and comes with a thick stack of service receipts from the local jeep dealer where it was purchased and has been serviced over its lifetime.

Pros:
No rust, excellent paint, and hardly any parking lot dings. Never off-roaded.
Drives great
Just had CPS sensor changed
225 tires are 90%
Clean interior
Coolent is bright green
Oil is topped off and healthy looking
127,xxx miles

Cons:
Bottom of engine is wet, not dripping, but wet with oil. Top of engine and oil filter are dry...
Windows and locks only work from drivers door
Drivers seat has the usual worn spots on the side and front
Owner says the frame was bent when she was rear ended but a reputable local shop did the repairs and I couldn't see any damage underneath. Rear hatch and bumper are new, the accident happened five years ago with no problems since.

Not sure if good or bad:
It has a np 242 j TC
The owner isn't ready to sell until she finds a new car so it may be a slooow deal to come together - gives me time to sell my car.

I offered $3800, which she said she'd take under consideration and get busy finding a new ride...
Attached Thumbnails Finding a value-image.jpeg  
Old 08-10-2016, 01:38 AM
CF Veteran

The 242 is a good awd t case if you want a daily driver that sees snow you will love it.The price is good to me if its as nice as you say it is.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Thanks Andrew - Let's just hope it's as nice as I think it is. In the past my wants have blinded me at times...
Old 08-10-2016, 10:59 AM
CF Veteran

The oil on the bottom of the engine may just be from the oil filter adapter O-Rings being bad very common problem and an easy fix.

It looks and sounds like a solid car from CO. and the best year for the XJ's. Being the frame was bent open and close all doors and hatch that close properly. Then check the gap around the doors when closed to see if it is even, it should be close if frame is straight.

I lived in CO. for a number of years a long time ago and then there was no salt used on any of the roads then, is that still the case? Back then all that was used was cinders and no rust only a broken windshield every so often.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:18 AM

Fred, Colorado uses a concoction of liquid salt as an anti-icing compound in the winter. I looked at a two door XJ from Aspen that was a study in rust so Colorado is not immune to corroded vehicles. Grand Junction, where this XJ and I live gets very little snow and it melts quickly on its own.

All doors including the rear hatch open and close with even gaps around them. I asked the owner if she'd noticed any uneven tire ware and she said no. The tires on it now we're new last Christmas and look brand new.

The valve cover and oil filter are dry, the oil is mostly on the bottom of the pan and the transmission so I suspect it's the pan gasket or rear main, here's a pic:
Attached Thumbnails Finding a value-image.jpeg  

Quick Reply: Finding a value