Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Finally got some work done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Finally got some work done!

So I bought my first Jeep ('95 cherokee sport) about 3 weeks ago, and have finally been able to put some time/work into it. It has just over 163k miles on it, and had the usual leaks which I managed to get sealed up last weekend. I replaced the rear main seal, oil pan gasket, oil filter adapter O-rings, and valve cover gasket, all not being as simple as I thought they would be. I worked on it over at a friends house, and wasn't able to actually get started until 4-ish in the afternoon thinking I had plenty of time...wrong! In dropping the oil pan I had to disconnect the shocks, panhard rod, and sway bar to get the axle down far enough to get the oil pan out. To make things worse, the bottom half of the engine was COVERED in old oil which meant I was covered in oil lol it was after dark by the time I actually got the thing out, due to stuck/rusty bolts not coming loose from the axle components, not to mention the lack of space to turn a wrench or ratchet down there, I put together 2 6" extensions to bring the ratchet down so I could remove all the oil pan bolts. Once I managed to get the rear main cap off, the seal inside of it was rock hard, and I barely managed to get the dang thing out without touching the bearing. The seal half inside the block came out pretty easy though. While installing the new seal inside the block, the shoehorn wasn't installed straight and the seal tore! Not the best thing to happen at 9 o'clock on a sunday night, luckily autozone was still open and had 1 in stock so we went and picked it up. That one did slide in just right though, and it was midnight by the time I got the oil pan bolted back up with the new gasket.

Name:  jeepoilpan.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  40.7 KB

I left off there because I had to be up at 5 in the morning for school.
Name:  e42bb31b.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  72.1 KB
Name:  ecfda3a0.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  88.6 KB

I managed to get back over around 2 p.m. the next day to finish up. The oil filter adapter I found was easiest to get to from beneath with an L shaped torx wrench. It was very stubborn (which I figured it would be) so I had to use a 3 foot cheater bar over the torx wrench to get it loose, it came off easily after that, a small turn at a time. Put the new O-rings on, and new oil filter and bolted it back up. Since everything under the jeep was pretty much done, I mounted the axle back up and all the components underneath, and then started on the valve cover gasket. All of the valve cover bolts came off with just my fingers! so needless to say it was an easy job lol I also replaced my two ccv elbows and grommets while the valve cover was off. They were so hardened I had to use the press to get them out! which they did come out in pieces. I recently ordered a new ccv breather hose set too since the old ones didnt make it. I've been driving it a week now with no leaks
My next project is a lift which I've already bought, (and should've put on this weekend but couldnt due to parts not being here because UPS lost them!) and I should be able to put on by wednesday. Here is the Jeep as it sits now

Name:  2a18fade.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  99.4 KB

Once thats in, its time for new wheels and tires any suggestions for wheels?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.9

These things never go as planned lol good luck with your lift, post pics when it's done!