Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 03:00 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: flux capacitor
Default exhausted my gear and locker fund

Well I noticed i have been losing coolant with no trace as to where it was going for the last couple months, it decided to show its ugly face last week. It started to get hot at idle so i replaced the fan clutch which didnt solve anything. It started getting worse then i found water in the oil. I pulled the head and found the gasket blew in the middle between cyls 3 & 4 i pulled the head (intake,exhaust still attached) in about 2 hours. Would have had it done sooner but the power steering pump was giving me fits. I ordered a re-man head ($260 shipped), water pump ($18), plugs/wire ($25), melling high volume oil pump ($60), haynes manual ($14), complete mopar gasket set ($65), pcv valve ($4), air filter ($7) and stuff to do an oil change ($20) so im close to $500 in stuff so far. The head was simple to remove with aid of my engine hoist. I picked up some studs to put in the headbolt holes to hold the gasket in place and to aid in seating the head on the block during re assembly. I think the winch is the cause of it all as it was fine til i installed it lol, oh well. Funny thing was i looked high and low for the leak and even done a coolant test to see of exhaust gas was present in the radiator which showed nothing. I pressure tested it and found it was leaking down very,very slowly but could find no traces of water in the oil or white smoke from the tail pipe. Im hoping it didnt hurt anything else, we'll see what happens after the new head and go.from there. I automatically assumed the head was either warped or cracked which is why i ordered a new one.

Last edited by knuckleduster271; 08-01-2011 at 08:09 PM.