Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Exhaust set-up idea. Need some people to weight in.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Exhaust set-up idea. Need some people to weight in.

So, I am going to be doing a new exhaust system soon, and i wanted some input from other guys with a similiar setup. I want to go to a 2.5" exhaust with a high flow cat and a summit turbo muffler, and then dump it off at the side. I was thinking of running a 'dual exhaust' with two outlets from a single muffler, but I thought about it and reconsidered. So, after seeing only a few side-dumped exhausts, I thought they looked really nice. This is a DD, so I want any input from you guys, and preferrably some pics if you have a side dump. Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2011, 09:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

i'd say the less plumbing the better... imo, dual has no point on an xj. side dump is nice. but for the price, you can't beat the dynomax catback kit, and i think they even got a rebate.
i run a high flow cat to a 2.5 flowmaster 44, and i think it sounds a bit too loud, but i like it.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

Anyone else?
Old 02-27-2011, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

try and get a kit that is stainless if your cat is ok don't worry about it until it is needed.... but if you plan on keeping your Jeep for a long time get a stainless kit out the back... side exhaust is a bad idea and in some states it is illegal if you have a 4 door not sure your state has that rule... also with a stainless kit costs a little more but it will never have to be replaced again... hope this helps..
Old 03-01-2011, 02:17 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

so what did you get?
Old 03-01-2011, 07:29 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
so what did you get?
Im still debating, and the money for the work won't be here til March 10th or so. I did some research, and I think side exhausts are legal here in VA... but at the same time I wondering what kind of effect it's gonna have like when Im stopped at a light and such. But I still think side exhausts on XJ's look nice.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Only do a side exit exhaust if you like the way exhaust fumes smell and make you feel while sitting at long stoplights and railroad crossings.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999
Engine: 4.0

I wouldn't suggest getting the summit turbo muffler. I had one and you could hardly tell the difference from stock.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i got Mudfrogs catback,highflow cat and 2 hangers for i think it was 160 or 180 shipped. I got the flowmaster spr 44 and 2.5" pipping and the cat is 2.5 in/out. the sizing might be different for your 91,but my stock pipe going in to the cat is 2.5". I'm still waiting on better weather to install it. he also has magnaflow mufflers to go with it.

You will need a section of pipe behind the cat and an o2 sensor bung to weld in it, but that is easy. also the additional hangers will have to be welded on too. any shop can do it and it won't cost alot. or if you nhave a buddy such as i do; to do the welding for you.

he is a member here. here is his site. great to deal with and fast shipping. they for got to send my hangers and he was great about it and sent them right out no ?'s asked. def reccomended.

http://performance-curve.com/

Last edited by OEJ; 03-01-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:22 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I have seen side dumps mess up the finish on rims, if it comes out before the rear wheel. Like on our older f150, it turned that chrome wheel green.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

I'm doin a side dump on mine, probably sooner than later as I separated my exhaust while wheeling last.

I'm going to end up with a cheap-o straight pipe like a Glass-Pak or Cherry Bomb, whichever is shorter and cheaper.

I'm not worried about fumes when the thing sits for awhile. No reason to leave the motor running if your stopped for anything longer than a stop light.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000,1990,1999

Originally Posted by bholle
I have seen side dumps mess up the finish on rims, if it comes out before the rear wheel. Like on our older f150, it turned that chrome wheel green.

Well, when they say to "ROTATE YOUR TIRES", it's not literal. You're supposed to rotate the rims too.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:14 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L, CAI, Edelbrock Breather, Optima Yellowtop

I'm running a Flowmaster 40 with a 2.5 Single Inlet and a dual 2.5 outlet. I welded it all together and made fake duals, they exit on both sides of the trailer hitch right under the bumper.
The XJ I have it on is my DD aswell. It's loud on the outside and quiet inside. It doesn't have the "drone" that some performance mufflers do, but it is still aggressive. It has a low grumbly tone and people have asked me questions such as "is it a v8?" or "that thing is a diesel right?". I thought about it and it sounds like a detroit diesel at higher revs, while sounding like a v8 between 1000-2500 RPM. I'd definitely recommend it to any XJ owner running the 4.0L.

Now about your setup idea, it's cool but you'll hate it after a while, trust me.
The side exit exhaust looks cool and gives you more offroad clearence, but it'll be A LOT louder inside the vehicle as it exits closer to you and the passengers. Since you said you want to do this on your DD, don't do it. You'll get annoyed faster than listening to a Justin Bieber song
Old 03-01-2011, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1996XJSport
I'm running a Flowmaster 40 with a 2.5 Single Inlet and a dual 2.5 outlet. I welded it all together and made fake duals, they exit on both sides of the trailer hitch right under the bumper.
The XJ I have it on is my DD aswell. It's loud on the outside and quiet inside. It doesn't have the "drone" that some performance mufflers do, but it is still aggressive. It has a low grumbly tone and people have asked me questions such as "is it a v8?" or "that thing is a diesel right?". I thought about it and it sounds like a detroit diesel at higher revs, while sounding like a v8 between 1000-2500 RPM. I'd definitely recommend it to any XJ owner running the 4.0L.

Now about your setup idea, it's cool but you'll hate it after a while, trust me.
The side exit exhaust looks cool and gives you more offroad clearence, but it'll be A LOT louder inside the vehicle as it exits closer to you and the passengers. Since you said you want to do this on your DD, don't do it. You'll get annoyed faster than listening to a Justin Bieber song
Hilarious! I have decided on leaving the tail pipe at the rear-end where it belongs. Now I just need to decide on a muffler that's cheap and gives a nice deep tone but is still good for a DD.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO I6

I wouldn't go to a dual outlet on any XJ that I wheel. We had a huge wheeling outing this past Saturday and several guys got their tailpipes hung up....with 2 pipes running out that is just twice the possibilities of trail damage. Doesn't make much sense to me. If you just mall crawl and want it to look cool, then go for it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust set-up idea. Need some people to weight in.