Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Dont you just hate telephone poles? I do!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dont you just hate telephone poles? I do!

Well it hurts me to say it but my jeepin days are over for a while. Went out playin on some old mine roads with a few buddies this weekend and ended the night by wrapping the jeep around a telephone pole. In my defense it came out of nowhere lol. I wont go into exact details of the wreck 1. because im not proud of why I wrecked and 2. I dont remember anything from about 5 minutes before or after the wreck. The only thing I remember is the actual point of impact and slamming my head off the window.

As of now im pretty sure the jeep is fixable but id like to hear your guys' opinions on it. The pole hit right where the door meets the fender, it pushed the kick panel and rocker panel in probably 4 inches or so id say. It also pushed the a-pillar in at the bottom which caused the windshield to spider web. Other than that theres reletivley little damage (for as hard as I hit).

Please tell me if my plans are wrong or if I could do something a different way than I plan. Once I get the door off (should be today) I plan on welding a few hooks to the places that are pushed in, once thats done ill hook a come along to a tree and see if that gets me any progress. To me it seems like it should work since it doesnt need to be pulled out THAT much. But then again I am a 19 year old kid who hasnt done anything like this before, but I do plan on fixing it myself other than putting the windshield in.

Heres a few pics for you guys, let me know your thoughts!

I will post more pics once I get the door off so you can see all of the damage at once.

Feel free to hate on my ideas but not me please, I know im a jackass and accept full responsability for what I did I dont need everyone else reminding me
Old 02-28-2012, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 I6 firepower ignition, cat-back w/ magnaflow muffler, poweraid tb spacer, optima blue top

Well, it doesn't look that bad. There's a couple inches between the outside of the door/fender and the inner structure so maybe you didn't get to into that. It looks like just replace the rocker and door would deal with most of it but getting the door off will tell much of the story.

The come along idea makes me cringe, but if you do that use a little heat to help relieve some of the stress. Also tap around the area around where your pulling with a hammer, that too will help relieve the stress while your pulling.

But i'm no body man so...
Old 02-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Yea me either, I had planned on using heat and a hammer to relieve the tension on it. The way I see it im not gonna hurt it any more right? But the door will be off by this evening and pics will be posted for ya thanks for ur input.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: I6

Dang that sucks, guess u can't by that lift from me now, lol glad your ok
Old 02-28-2012, 02:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

that will buff out! lol. yea that doesnt look to bad. i have seen much worse on here that has been fixed to look like nothing ever happened. should take a good day of hitting with a hammer to get it looking normal again. good luck
Old 02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Haha yea too bad my buffer is outta service! But I couldnt get the door off because the torx bolts stripped out. Is there a better way to remove these? Because I was just gonna cut the heads of the bolts off and see where that got me.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

be careful! if the come along slips or your weld pops (the metal isn't that thick for good penetration) it will be a missile that you DON'T want to hit you!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Im fully aware of the dangers of come alongs there will be something on the line to drop it to the ground incase it does come off. Ive yet to get the door off so the come along will be at least a few days at least