Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 92
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default do you take your kids wheeling?

Hey cf folks!!! So I figured id start this post based off some stuff I saw on tv and personal experiences and get input thoughts etc on the subject. I was watching tv and they showed some jeep roll overs where people had their kids with them and people were saying its bad parenting la la la. I've been wheeling for about 4 years now and everyone I kno takes their kids with them cause its fun family sport. I my self have not taken my son yet but was thinking maybe someone should come up with kid related safety products for our jeeps. I don't think its a bad parenting decision unless your kid is fresh out the womb lol. What's everyones thought opions etc on this subject and what can we do to show people that weekend wheeling is just as safe and family oriented as any other family "sport". My kid loves the jeep and he has a jeep bike and power wheels and always wants me to drive over stuff and threw stuff. Ill let him sit in my lap in a parkinglot or on a dirt road to drive and first thing he does is stop put the tranny in netural and pull the t case to 4 lo. Then he says look dad I'm crawling....brings tears to my eyes lol
Old 12-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990
Engine: Straight 6

lol i love that last part, thats funny
Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

My son that 4 tells me we need bigger tires and lights on top.... I was so proud!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:05 PM

Year: 1985 shell
Engine: 1996 6 cylinder Briggs & Stratton

I take my boys wheeling all over Colorado, I always use good judgement and they love it! The only problem that i run into is that they want to take off the seat belts because

( We're not going fast Dad! ) Of coarse i don't let them and for the most part they are OK with it.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0HO

I take my kids all the time if it looks bad they get out and become spectators!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Thumbs up

My kid loves the jeep and he has a jeep bike and power wheels and always wants me to drive over stuff and threw stuff. Ill let him sit in my lap in a parkinglot or on a dirt road to drive and first thing he does is stop put the tranny in netural and pull the t case to 4 lo. Then he says look dad I'm crawling....brings tears to my eyes lol
Thats awesome! I usually take my kids but if I go somewhere new I usually go without them the first time. If it gets to hairy then they get out and watch/take pics for me. Keep it up!
Old 12-11-2011, 10:34 PM
CF Veteran

took my daughter on some of the fire roads in the kern river canyon up near upper peppermint creek outside bakersfield CA. She was laughing and having a ball while I was dragging my tranny support across rocks and rutts. her favorite song to wheel to "Four wheel drive " by CW McCall.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

She loves the mud as well
Old 12-12-2011, 01:16 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8

I take my kids all the time. My son loves it and he's only 2. Whenever it rains he always says "mud dad".
Old 12-12-2011, 03:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 96

Bad parenting my ***. Where would the sport be today without people that brought us up this way? America would be even more pussified than it is already and we'd all be posting about what we did to our Prius today.

My mom won 7 trophies in one weekend drag racing her Scout on the ice on Lake George while she was pregnant with me. I still have the Scout. My dad got just as many that weekend because they were 1st and 2nd every time. I have trophies from doing sand drags on a suzuki 50 quad at the age of 3. I rode on the gas tank of my dad's snowmobile for 200+ mile a day rides in Vermont. True story, not sure how old I was but pretty young, when we had to write a story for school about what we did on vacation I wrote mine about riding snowmobiles and every bar we stopped at. The teacher corrected every word to barN. I rode in my uncle's 800hp sand drag CJ many times when I was a little guy. I went on every trail ride with them. I can't remember one vehicle we ever owned when I was a kid that wasn't a loud, slightly hammered wheeler. Another Scout my mom used to drive me to pre school and kindergarten in was nicknamed the blue bomb and I would tell the teacher every day when it arrived. "My mom's here with the blue bomb!"

Yesterday we had mud drags at my buddy's. I raced against an S10 Blazer with a 12 year old driving. I took my friend's 12 year old son for a few passes with me, the smile was priceless.

I don't have any kids of my own yet (as far as I know), but I guarantee they won't be deprived of the greatest sport in the world.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Some people always want to protect their kids from everything then wonder why they are always sick, getting hurt at school and bullied. I say "Well maybe is people werent on their mother tit until they were 20"

When my dad found out i was stealing the car at 14-15 yrs old, he came home one day with a pos beater car, gave me the keys and taught me how to drive. We only had the car for a week before i put it into a tree while learning dirt roads in winter.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Year: 1997

My 4yo absolutly goes nuts when I tell him we are going to go wheeling. I have a sweet toddler seat that has the standard 5 pointer and I anchor it to the back seat using my climbing carabeaners to sinch it down. Same as mentioned above though.. if I fear a flop or anything else I will have him get down with another adult and watch from a safe distance. I know if it came down to it though he would ride out a flop or even a roll and have fun doing it. I love my dare devil. He is a mini me for sure.\

Radio Flyer: Sweet pics man and good looking boy. Thats my version of the AMERICAN DREAM. Good job

Last edited by Metalgearmurder; 12-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L 6 CYL

My kids have all gone wheelin since they were little. My sons first trip was at about 6 months and he slept in his car seat until i stopped then he would wake up and fuss start moving and out like a light. Here he is at 12 yrs old in my xj. He has done the lap driving but since he was able to reach the pedals i have started him on driving offroad. With the hope of him gaining respect for the outdoors/vehicles and being more responsible with both.
do you take your kids wheeling?-steven-red-rock.jpg
Old 12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
ck1
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991

my kids are grown now but they both learned to drive in my Jeeps at about 9 years old...started off in the desert in 4 low around camp thenprogressed until they got there own...always loved them looking out the 1/2 doors on my Wrangler trying to see forward...I am a horrible parent ...at least my kids were seasoned enough by the time 16 rolled in...dont want to jinx them but so far so good
Old 12-28-2011, 05:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 92

See this is what"family sports" are all about. I'm currently writing an article to send to the jeep magazines and talking with news stations local and national to do segments on wheeling and the 4x4 world. People and the world should get to see what the sport is all about. But there will always be someone out there bein negative about it just like everything else.

Quick Reply: do you take your kids wheeling?