Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Differentials Question for XJ

Old 01-12-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Differentials Question for XJ

Brand new to this site so bear with me please and thank you. Question is:

If I have an XJ with open differentials and install manual lockers on the front end will I still be able to utilize the open differentials on the front when I put it into 4wd, as long as I don't engage the front's manual lockers?

Or when I install the locking differentials will I be gutting the diff. Housing completely of the open end differential gears/mechanisms?

Thanks again for any help. Obviously have almost no experience with this.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Yes it will operate as the original front did in 4wd without the manual locker engaged. A full case auto locker in the rear would be a great way to go with it also.

If you have or plan on larger tires that would be the time for a gear change also, keep in mind that lockers are based on the gear ratio and a change to like a 33" tire would need a 4.56 gear and the stock 3.55 gears with the locker will not fit the new gear.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 01-12-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:10 PM

Awesome just the info I was looking for. Thank you. You rock. Quick question about your response for when you have time

Curious why you would recommend an auto locker in the rear instead of a manual locker ?
Old 01-12-2017, 02:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Dustywaffler
Awesome just the info I was looking for. Thank you. You rock. Quick question about your response for when you have time

Curious why you would recommend an auto locker in the rear instead of a manual locker ?
Auto lockers are more cost effective and much more manageable in the rear vs the front. Putting an auto locker in the front doesnt give you the option to unlock anytime you are in 4wd, that will effect turning radius and handling.

What are your plans for the jeep? Daily driver? Trail rig? A little of both?
Old 01-12-2017, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Auto lockers are more cost effective and much more manageable in the rear vs the front. Putting an auto locker in the front doesnt give you the option to unlock anytime you are in 4wd, that will effect turning radius and handling.

What are your plans for the jeep? Daily driver? Trail rig? A little of both?
Both yea basically... more specifically, I was thinking of a manual locker front and a manual locker rear so I can disengage both for road use and engage rear or rear AND front for off-road as well as have the option of engaged rear and disengaged front for slick icy roads.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Selectable lockers are ideal both front and rear, and also more expensive. But if you want to save a little money you could go with an auto locker in the rear like a detroit and they have very good road manners.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:19 PM

Selectable lockers are ideal both front and rear, and also more expensive. But if you want to save a little money you could go with an auto locker in the rear like a detroit and they have very good road manners.

Cool man. Thanks. Yea I would prefer to spend a little more to have ideal. I plan on keeping this build hopefully the rest of my life.
Old 01-12-2017, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

If you havent re-geared already and are running bigger tires you should do that when you do the lockers as well. Youre going to have to set up/install the gears onto the lockers anyways. That will keep you from having to pay for the labor twice.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:33 PM

If you havent re-geared already and are running bigger tires you should do that when you do the lockers as well. Youre going to have to set up/install the gears onto the lockers anyways. That will keep you from having to pay for the labor twice.
Wont be going much larger than stock size tire but I will be doing lockers myself anyway so still recommend a regear while I'm at it ?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Good luck man. What brand of locker are you getting?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by EatonXJ
Good luck man. What brand of locker are you getting?
Not sure. Havent looked into brands yet. However, now that I have decided what my differential set up will be, I suppose it's time to start brand research. My guess is that you have some input on brands?
Old 01-12-2017, 06:59 PM
CF Veteran

Wont be going much larger than stock size tire but I will be doing lockers myself anyway so still recommend a regear while I'm at it ?
It will make your life easier unless you want to set up the gears twice. If you do it now then youll only have to tear it down once and be done with it.
Old 01-12-2017, 07:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure. Havent looked into brands yet. However, now that I have decided what my differential set up will be, I suppose it's time to start brand research. My guess is that you have some input on brands?
Take it with a grain of salt but if I had the money I'd go with Ox cable lockers. They keep it simple. Also check the vendor section. I've seen lockers on sale there from time to time.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:12 PM

It will make your life easier unless you want to set up the gears twice. If you do it now then youll only have to tear it down once and be done with it.
I suppose you're right. Im sure I will eventually get tire greed. Haha. Thank you
Old 01-12-2017, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by EatonXJ

Take it with a grain of salt but if I had the money I'd go with Ox cable lockers. They keep it simple. Also check the vendor section. I've seen lockers on sale there from time to time.
Cable lockers seem like they would be reliable due to the simplicity. Have you heard much about the reliability of cable lockers? Specifically Ox brand? I have heard back and forths on potential drawbacks and usual hangups for each locker method but not specifically by brand.

Search this Thread