Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Davis auto sports? Any luck

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Davis auto sports? Any luck

I have been looking for a xj low miles and came across Davis auto sports, their xjs look really nice with low miles.. Kinda pricey but all done up.. Has anyone had any experience with them good or bad. I live in MA and they are from VA so I would have to buy online and get it shipped without ever seeing the vehicle. Are these Jeeps to good to be true , are they just covering up all the rust and rot with armor paint?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE
Engine: 4.0

I've been curious about them as well. From what I see, they are prime XJs, hence the premium price. Don't know if many people here have 1st hand experience with them, sense you can build a few XJs for the price of one Davis XJ.

I'll follow this thread for my own curiosity.

Edit: I've only glanced at them when I was still XJ dreaming. I have now watched a couple vids and gone over their package lists. I'd much rather hold out for a clean stocker and DIY. Looks like they only use long arms on the $25k package, TC "relocation kit" (that's a $10 drop kit BTW), on the lower level packages, add a leafs? C'mon! You'd be paying out the a$$ for minimum quality lifts it looks like, didn't even see a mention of brands they use. Bumpers with empty holes where a D-ring should go. They rave about using all new hardware, which every lift kit comes with. Diff fluid, wow. I could go on and on. This is one of those cases where even if I had the money, I'd pass. YMMV and JMO.

Last edited by jay_sco; 11-25-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 06:20 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

I think you just answered the question, LOL
Old 11-26-2015, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jay_sco
I've been curious about them as well. From what I see, they are prime XJs, hence the premium price. Don't know if many people here have 1st hand experience with them, sense you can build a few XJs for the price of one Davis XJ.

I'll follow this thread for my own curiosity.

Edit: I've only glanced at them when I was still XJ dreaming. I have now watched a couple vids and gone over their package lists. I'd much rather hold out for a clean stocker and DIY. Looks like they only use long arms on the $25k package, TC "relocation kit" (that's a $10 drop kit BTW), on the lower level packages, add a leafs? C'mon! You'd be paying out the a$$ for minimum quality lifts it looks like, didn't even see a mention of brands they use. Bumpers with empty holes where a D-ring should go. They rave about using all new hardware, which every lift kit comes with. Diff fluid, wow. I could go on and on. This is one of those cases where even if I had the money, I'd pass. YMMV and JMO.
Originally Posted by roninofako
I think you just answered the question, LOL

Could not agree more!

Just buy a nice 99 XJ stock and then for less than that you can build an XJ that will be much higher in quality (Parts with labor) and know exactly what has been done, even buying a new engine less than those cost. JMO but you can do better than that I'm sure and have a lot more new parts.
Old 11-27-2015, 01:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For what you get his prices are sky high and most parts on it are the cheapest ones out there.You can buy a xj and have a shop install all the same stuff for half probably.And a lot of his are 00-01 years which are known for having a head that can crack if its been drove overheating.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Don't Buy from these Tools

Purchased an XJ from them, 58k miles. 6-8 week build time turned into 6 months. They double and triple charged me on items while lying, holding the vehicle hostage, making me arrange and pay shipping though all that was included in the sales price and contract, and the car smoked upon firing it up for the FIRST TIME, and this "rust-free, pristine, showroom quality" car is basically a salvaged CA vehicle due to unthinkable amount of rust. They can't and shouldn't be trusted let alone licensed to sell vehicles in VA or anywhere in the world. Jonathan Davis is the crook behind it all whereas the techs and others seem pretty upfront, hard working, and overall not bad peeps. But Jonathan Davis hides behind religion, when resolution and explanation was sought Gus answer was "take me to court over it." Save your money, the hassle and your sanity and buy anything from anyone anywhere else rather than Davis Autosports or Alpha Jeeps.
The following users liked this post:
downs (01-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

^^ That's what I've heard.

Pretty, all show and no go, Mall Crawlers.
All those shiny new parts today are used parts tomorrow.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by DavisBeware
Purchased an XJ from them, 58k miles. 6-8 week build time turned into 6 months. They double and triple charged me on items while lying, holding the vehicle hostage, making me arrange and pay shipping though all that was included in the sales price and contract, and the car smoked upon firing it up for the FIRST TIME, and this "rust-free, pristine, showroom quality" car is basically a salvaged CA vehicle due to unthinkable amount of rust. They can't and shouldn't be trusted let alone licensed to sell vehicles in VA or anywhere in the world. Jonathan Davis is the crook behind it all whereas the techs and others seem pretty upfront, hard working, and overall not bad peeps. But Jonathan Davis hides behind religion, when resolution and explanation was sought Gus answer was "take me to court over it." Save your money, the hassle and your sanity and buy anything from anyone anywhere else rather than Davis Autosports or Alpha Jeeps.
Sounds like a nightmare!

If you're still out there,
curious as to the procedure on buying from Davis especially for out of State people?
Sounds like you bought it and then they rebuilt it (6 mo. wait build time)?
Did you buy the Jeep sight unseen, just pics or in person 'before' the build?
Do you still own it? Any pics? Pics of the rust?

If they took you to court and based on what you said, i think you would of had a good case.

From what i'm reading here, instead of Davis Auto Sports it should be instead....
Davis caveat emtor Auto Sports
Old 05-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

They think smittybuilt products are "stage 5" serious off-road parts. I'd never give them a dime. The sales people sound like wanna be gangsters also.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

With a $5000 buy budget and $5000 build budget, a person could do an awful lot. I would rather have it be my way with my parts choices.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Litre I6

Originally Posted by DavisBeware
how long have you been scanning the forums waiting for a Davis thread? LOL.

sorry for your luck though, mate.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 PM

Engine: 4.0L non 0331 head

Originally Posted by CurrySoSpicy
how long have you been scanning the forums waiting for a Davis thread? LOL.

sorry for your luck though, mate.
I'm sure google brought him here, like most of us.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L 6cyl

I would DIY and have the satisfaction of 1: doing it yourself and 2: making it Exactly how you want it. I love the Jeep Cherokee but I honestly would not pay more than 8,000 for one, even if it is "showroom quality".
Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

Originally Posted by Jeepification
I'm sure google brought him here, like most of us.
Starting to look that way...a one time poster, that is until his 'new' Davis XJ craps out then posts again for advice here.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nah not a one timer guys, apologies on the delay. Owned a 96 XJ Sport for years and as a result of time served overseas the hands don't do what they once did with the necessary heat gun and pb blaster and "give 'em hell" elbow grease that these rad rides require.
The reason it took so long to post at all was that I sought litigation to recoup the cost of my car, repairs, all that jazz. But then got to thinking, and digging, and saw he screwed a lot of people in the same way I did. So I thought, it's better to eat the cost and instead go after his business license. So the result was a period of silence followed by a reinstating of my Freedom of Speech rights by the old Legal counsel that said I was cool to go out and speak out against these criminals. And thanks for the condolences on the XJ. There will be another. Positive, led me to find Damian Smith in Cali who is amazing mechanic and can do far and above better work than I could even before the hand injuries over in the sandbox.

Scope their Google Reviews, currently sitting at like 3.8 or something as their star rating, all my pics are there, under the Little Brother G-Name.
Sorry again for delay gents (and ladies?)!

http://https://www.google.com/maps/u...viewerState=lb

Quick Reply: Davis auto sports? Any luck