dana 35.. LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD
Default dana 35.. LSD?

This is probably a stupid question, but googles confusing the cr*p out of me... does the 1998 xj have a limited slip differential in its factory fitted dana 35 rear axle?. I didnt think it did, but ive recently changed my diff fluid, and Im now getting a bit of a chattering, kinda whirring clicking noise coming from the rear diff.. opened it back up, and it looks sound.. just that noise.. if it does have the limited slip diff, that means I need to through in a friction modifier of some sort doesnt it?.
Any thoughts / opinions appreciated.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

The lsd werent in all of them, but were optional. When you had your diff cover off, were the spider and side gears open and easily seen? or did the carrier look more enclosed? If it looks more enclosed, then it most likely has clutches in it and is lsd.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L

its probably obvious but i know on mine it had a label on the diff that said "use only limited slip diff fluid" on it
Old 04-12-2011, 11:17 PM

The lsd werent in all of them, but were optional. When you had your diff cover off, were the spider and side gears open and easily seen? or did the carrier look more enclosed? If it looks more enclosed, then it most likely has clutches in it and is lsd.
Thanks for the quick response!. No i couldnt really see the gears that well - they were quite enclosed as you described... ***** i hope I havent done any damage driving it without the friction modifier.. is it just a noise reducer or is it more essential than that??.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:19 PM

Year: 89

No problem. The clutches require the special additive to work properly. You may not have damaged them, but put the additive in as soon as you can, then drive it around and do a few figure 8s in a parking lot to work the additive in and see how it goes.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by shanester
its probably obvious but i know on mine it had a label on the diff that said "use only limited slip diff fluid" on it
No label unfortunately - but then the diff cover didnt fit properly, so I dont think it was the original cover or even the right cover for a dana 35 - had to get a replacement one out of a junkyard before I changed the fluid.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996

Jack the center of the rear end up so both wheels are off the ground,
spin one and watch the other side, if it spins the same direction its a LSD, if it spins the opposite direction its an open diff.

If you jack just one side, take it out of gear and try to spin the wheel if you can its open diff, in not its LSD.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by jeepjerry
No problem. The clutches require the special additive to work properly. You may not have damaged them, but put the additive in as soon as you can, then drive it around and do a few figure 8s in a parking lot to work the additive in and see how it goes.
Thanks jeepjerry - appreciate the advice. I'll pick up some modifier in the morning and drive the figure 8's(didnt know about that trick).. I'll post how it goes... hopefully no more noise
Old 04-12-2011, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Caish
Jack the center of the rear end up so both wheels are off the ground,
spin one and watch the other side, if it spins the same direction its a LSD, if it spins the opposite direction its an open diff.

If you jack just one side, take it out of gear and try to spin the wheel if you can its open diff, in not its LSD.
Thanks caish.. Im always learning something on this forum. I'll try the wheel spin test tommorrow just to make absolutely sure it is an LSD before I add the modifier!.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:04 PM

Jacked up one side of the jeep ,and tried to turn the wheel (out of gear, brake off etc).. turned about 2 inches then stopped.. solid couldnt budge it. Same in other direction. Attached a pic below of what it looks like inside my rear diff.. From what you guys have told me, and from what googles telling me I reckon ive got a limited slip diff. I put in amsoil friction modifier, did my "figure 8's", and the chattering, clinking whine has gone!.
Thanks for all the help and advice guys!.
Attached Thumbnails dana 35.. LSD?-april2011.jpg  
Old 07-09-2016, 03:47 AM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

hello to all Jeepers,

jeep xj 88 4.0 i6 4wd base model, dana 35c (non c-clip).

Ive just drained the differential fluid and filled it up with MasterPro GL-5 now the noise in the back that im trying to figure out seems even worse the noise doesn't start right away it takes a few miles before it starts getting louder. Am i using the wrong fluid its 85-140 and ive taken the cover of the differential and to my knowledge is seem like an open differential. When the rear is on jacks and put in neutral and i spin one wheel forward the other wheel spins backward. So reading through this thread i understand it is not a limited slip differential so the fluid should be ok then.. but why does it make more noise now. Laying underneath and spinning the driveshaft by hand i hear clicking noise coming from the differential which i didnt hear before i changed the fluid.

Im in the process of changing out my wheel bearings aswell, last night i replaced the left rear wheel bearing unfortunately one of the bearings got injured during this process and i had to use the second one that was meant for the right rear, so i know one is still making a grinding noise and will be replaced this weekend. The grinding noise sounds like metal on metal and it is driving me nuts i want to hit it right on the spot and fix this.

Im confused now to use an additive or not ?
would it hurt to just put additives in a none limited slip differntial ?
there is a high mileage engine oil what would be best gear oil for a high mileage differential ?

Thanks

Last edited by LadyKenai; 07-09-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:17 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by LadyKenai
hello to all Jeepers, jeep xj 88 4.0 i6 4wd base model, dana 35c (non c-clip). Ive just drained the differential fluid and filled it up with MasterPro GL-5 now the noise in the back that im trying to figure out seems even worse the noise doesn't start right away it takes a few miles before it starts getting louder. Am i using the wrong fluid its 85-140 and ive taken the cover of the differential and to my knowledge is seem like an open differential. When the rear is on jacks and put in neutral and i spin one wheel forward the other wheel spins backward. So reading through this thread i understand it is not a limited slip differential so the fluid should be ok then.. but why does it make more noise now. Laying underneath and spinning the driveshaft by hand i hear clicking noise coming from the differential which i didnt hear before i changed the fluid. Im in the process of changing out my wheel bearings aswell, last night i replaced the left rear wheel bearing unfortunately one of the bearings got injured during this process and i had to use the second one that was meant for the right rear, so i know one is still making a grinding noise and will be replaced this weekend. The grinding noise sounds like metal on metal and it is driving me nuts i want to hit it right on the spot and fix this. Im confused now to use an additive or not ? would it hurt to just put additives in a none limited slip differntial ? there is a high mileage engine oil what would be best gear oil for a high mileage differential ? Thanks
Idk about anyone else but in my 8.25 I always use 75-90 gear oil and never had a problem, don't know if it's different for the 35, doesn't seem like it would be