cut fender pinch welds on accident.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default cut fender pinch welds on accident.

Yeah I was un aware that the rear fenders had pinch welds at a certain point, you can guess what happened. I couldn't just stop because it wouldve looked bad. Im trying to figure out the beat way to patch it up. Could I use fiberglass? Or bondo or body filler? I can't weld anything so that's out of the question.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:45 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 ho

only clean way i can think of doing it is welding..... other than that just put a ton of duck tape over the holes

how did you get over 1k posts on a cherokee website without knowing that there are pinch welds?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Could always spend $100 on a HF welder and tub your wheel wells the 'right'way.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Like this, but you could do SEVERAL ways.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/ho...fenders-52029/
Old 11-27-2011, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

In every single thread ive ever read about fender trimming i never new there were pinch welds . Idk i may try and make a roll with the fiberglass or something and make it look good.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:13 AM

so i typed rear fender trimming into the search thingymajiger... all of these were on the first page that came up and within the first few posts in the threads..........

Originally Posted by VTJeep
It could either add or subtract value depending on the buyer! Someone lookin for a BA offroader might be willing to pay more for the fender mod, etc... Anyways, bigger bumpstops for sure and be careful trimming the rear- the pinch weld isn't too far in. Also look into the thread "LOW COG suspension setup tips/tricks"

Originally Posted by Evil Drew M
You haven't seen it because nobody does it. The front doesn't need to be cut & folded. The reason you have to do it in the rear is because the inner fender sheetmetal is spot welded to the outer fender sheet metal and the cut & fold preserves those spot welds so your two fenders don't separate.

There is no inner fender sheet metal to worry about up front.
[QUOTE=92XJGuy;1328143]So I ended up getting 33s for the coming months, and they're going to be my main tires until Summer, when I throw my MTs on for mudding. As you can see they fit fine, and only rub when I'm doing sharp turns, which is quite often. So I was thinking of removing my flares and trimming the fenders a bit just to accommodate the new tires, and give it that 'look' that I like.

I've been considering this trim for a while, and I've come across a bunch of guides. I just have a few questions.

For the rear, can I trim below the spot welds and be fine? Or will I have to reweld stuff together? Also, a guide said a nibbler would be the best choice for cutting, opposed to a sawzall or angle grinder. Or are they all fine?
Old 11-27-2011, 07:15 AM
CF Veteran

I didnt ever search it i meant. Whenever i read a thread that was on the top page.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Could always spend $100 on a HF welder and tub your wheel wells the 'right'way.
x2 i got one and use it more than i thought i would, that would solve your problem and its always nice to have around
Old 11-27-2011, 09:57 AM
CF Veteran

Here are the front and rear. I need to touch em up still. And that's rain not tire shine
Attached Thumbnails cut fender pinch welds on accident.-image-3518070673.jpg   cut fender pinch welds on accident.-image-1455896957.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 10:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 92XJGuy
So I ended up getting 33s for the coming months, and they're going to be my main tires until Summer, when I throw my MTs on for mudding. As you can see they fit fine, and only rub when I'm doing sharp turns, which is quite often. So I was thinking of removing my flares and trimming the fenders a bit just to accommodate the new tires, and give it that 'look' that I like.

I've been considering this trim for a while, and I've come across a bunch of guides. I just have a few questions.

For the rear, can I trim below the spot welds and be fine? Or will I have to reweld stuff together? Also, a guide said a nibbler would be the best choice for cutting, opposed to a sawzall or angle grinder. Or are they all fine?
i think it depends on just how far you trim, but rewelding seems likely.. oh, yeah, nibblers:http://www.emaxaction.com/nibblerspowertools-1.aspx too much for me, but your not me, so this may be an option. if your unsure of what your trimming limits for the rear are, a body shop might give you a tip, or check with a local jeep club and see if you can enlist some help/guidance?