Crazy idea thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default Crazy idea thread

Ok so this thread is going to be of all the crazy ideas you guys have had with your jeep from modifications to ways you use your jeep.

I was making fun of a Civic that the owner had just installed an electric turbo on it in my school parking lot and then it hit me, why use it for a power boost when you can use it as a way to improve the air intake of your snorkel kit! To be more specific, the electric turbo would be placed closer to the top of the snorkel but still under the bent top of the snorkel. The point of putting the e-turbo higher on the snorkel would hopefully make it not as hard for the engine to suck in air through the extended intake but have air pushed in and keep a higher pressure than letting the engine suck the air in itself. And also it would be colder air, because the faster air moves, the colder air is right? So the e-turbo wouldn't only keep air flow more easy but even cooler than a simple cold air intake! The e-turbo would have an on/off switch instead of just a switch that engages when the accelerator is pushed all the way down so you could have more control of the turbos use. Turn it on when you're going through mud and water, and off when you're driving on streets. But then again, this is a crazy idea thread so I don't know the feasibility of this concept. Inputs?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Thing with e-turbos is yes you don't have to wait for it to spool up but it's speed doesn't adjust to the engines speed. There's a point that your engine would suck in more air than the e-turbo can push. Then it just becomes a useless spinning obstruction in your air intake.

Also the speed of air has nothing to do with it's temperature. Cold air intakes are placed low, the idea being the heat rises, so the air down low is colder.

Last edited by LittleRed94; 11-06-2015 at 02:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like a waste of time and money.A e turbo takes more power then it puts out so your losing power from the start.A true snorkel has a ram air effect when your moving and has more then enough air flow in it.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by LiamLikeNeeson
Ok so this thread is going to be of all the crazy ideas you guys have had with your jeep from modifications to ways you use your jeep.

I was making fun of a Civic that the owner had just installed an electric turbo on it in my school parking lot and then it hit me, why use it for a power boost when you can use it as a way to improve the air intake of your snorkel kit! To be more specific, the electric turbo would be placed closer to the top of the snorkel but still under the bent top of the snorkel. The point of putting the e-turbo higher on the snorkel would hopefully make it not as hard for the engine to suck in air through the extended intake but have air pushed in and keep a higher pressure than letting the engine suck the air in itself. And also it would be colder air, because the faster air moves, the colder air is right? So the e-turbo wouldn't only keep air flow more easy but even cooler than a simple cold air intake! The e-turbo would have an on/off switch instead of just a switch that engages when the accelerator is pushed all the way down so you could have more control of the turbos use. Turn it on when you're going through mud and water, and off when you're driving on streets. But then again, this is a crazy idea thread so I don't know the feasibility of this concept. Inputs?

Been playing with this idea for many years now. Ever since a buddy and I stuck a heater blower squirrel fan on his 53 Chrysler with the flat head. It actually did real well at increasing low to midrange power output. All the ones available now only put out about 1 lb of boost and only kick in at a set point at one RPM on the blower.

Electric blowers have very great potential but would need more boost pressure and an adjustable RPM controller to match CFM draw from the engine to be optimal. In our current world of computerized engine management this is now completely feasible if done right.

Last edited by Bugout4x4; 11-06-2015 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 06:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 w/ tupy head

I got a crazy idea, my next jeep I'm going with a Rough Country lift.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 5.0

Originally Posted by HS00XJ
I got a crazy idea, my next jeep I'm going with a Rough Country lift.

Or Rancho.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 liter inline 6

i always wanted to build my zj into a 4bt powered truggy with juan twans.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default lifts

Originally Posted by jbsjunk
Or Rancho.
Why not both!
Just imagine that: Rancho Shocks with Rough Country Spacers/Springs.
That'd be interesting.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

Thanks for the input guys. I just thought of it a few minutes before I posted it. But why I said air is colder when it moves is because, for example, a typical fan you would keep at your desk to keep you cool while working is blowing cold air from the hot air that's present behind it so that's where my reasoning came from. And so according to you guys it wouldn't be a good idea for high engine speed driving but what about just low to mid power (city driving for example), like previously mentioned by Bugout4x4? Would that help economy (I know aftermarket air intakes don't really make much of a difference of fuel efficiency) with the e-turbo pushing more cold air into the engine than it would itself? Or would that cause misfiring? And program it to shut off at a certain rpm so it would, hypothetically, spin freely with the air that the engine is taking in by itself?
Old 11-06-2015, 07:01 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Bottom line here, if you want forced induction, get a true turbo or supercharger. Otherwise you're just wasting time and money. The "e-turbos" you speak of are snake oil.

Come to think of it, turbocharging or supercharging a 4.0 is going to waste time and money anyways...yes it can be done. But it's gonna cost you both.

Just one man's opinion.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by roninofako
Bottom line here, if you want forced induction, get a true turbo or supercharger. Otherwise you're just wasting time and money. The "e-turbos" you speak of are snake oil. Come to think of it, turbocharging or supercharging a 4.0 is going to waste time and money anyways...yes it can be done. But it's gonna cost you both. Just one man's opinion.
aw party pooper, I had my popcorn out ready. I wanted to see a failure. . Thanks a lot, you selfish and ungrateful bastard!
Old 11-06-2015, 07:12 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by XJwonders
aw party pooper, I had my popcorn out ready. I wanted to see a failure. . Thanks a lot, you selfish and ungrateful bastard!
Disappointing tards since 71 LOL
Old 11-06-2015, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by XJwonders
OMG this made my evening lol
Old 11-06-2015, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Ok so this thread is going to be of all the crazy ideas you guys have had with your jeep from modifications to ways you use your jeep. I was making fun of a Civic that the owner had just installed an electric turbo on it in my school parking lot and then it hit me, why use it for a power boost when you can use it as a way to improve the air intake of your snorkel kit! To be more specific, the electric turbo would be placed closer to the top of the snorkel but still under the bent top of the snorkel. The point of putting the e-turbo higher on the snorkel would hopefully make it not as hard for the engine to suck in air through the extended intake but have air pushed in and keep a higher pressure than letting the engine suck the air in itself. And also it would be colder air, because the faster air moves, the colder air is right? So the e-turbo wouldn't only keep air flow more easy but even cooler than a simple cold air intake! The e-turbo would have an on/off switch instead of just a switch that engages when the accelerator is pushed all the way down so you could have more control of the turbos use. Turn it on when you're going through mud and water, and off when you're driving on streets. But then again, this is a crazy idea thread so I don't know the feasibility of this concept. Inputs?
The Mighty Car Mods tested those and lost horsepower.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:38 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Let's make something clear. The devices you're talking about are electric superchargers. I have never heard of an "e-turbo". "Turbocharger" is the compressed name for a turbo-supercharger, because the supercharging is done via a turbine located in the exhaust stream instead of directly from the engine via gear or belt.

I was making fun of a Civic that the owner had just installed an electric turbo on it in my school parking lot
As you should. He got scammed, hard.

and then it hit me, why use it for a power boost when you can use it as a way to improve the air intake of your snorkel kit!
...that's literally the same thing...

The point of putting the e-turbo higher on the snorkel would hopefully make it not as hard for the engine to suck in air through the extended intake but have air pushed in and keep a higher pressure than letting the engine suck the air in itself.
Yes, that's exactly how a supercharger works.

And also it would be colder air, because the faster air moves, the colder air is right?
uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What grade are you in? Have you taken science class yet?

So the e-turbo wouldn't only keep air flow more easy but even cooler than a simple cold air intake!
Really? I guess I can throw out this giant air conditioner in my house, 'cause all I need is an "e-turbo".

But then again, this is a crazy idea thread so I don't know the feasibility of this concept. Inputs?
There is a large difference between "crazy" and "completely ignorant of the basic laws of physics".

Originally Posted by LittleRed94
Cold air intakes are placed low, the idea being the heat rises, so the air down low is colder.
What?

A cold air intake is a system that draws air OUTSIDE of the hot area of the engine bay. Ricer boys put them at the very bottom (and presumably don't drive in the rain) because they don't want to cut holes in their hood or make a ram. A snorkel is a perfectly valid route to draw in air cooler than the **** being flung out of the radiator. As is an intake built-in to the bumper or headlight, such as many factory performance cars. How much difference in temperature do you think the atmosphere has in a difference of FIVE FEET?

(P.S. the atmosphere gets cooler the higher up you go. Death Valley isn't named that because it's on a ****ing mountain)

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Sounds like a waste of time and money.A e turbo takes more power then it puts out so your losing power from the start.A true snorkel has a ram air effect when your moving and has more then enough air flow in it.
+1

But why I said air is colder when it moves is because, for example, a typical fan you would keep at your desk to keep you cool while working is blowing cold air from the hot air that's present behind it so that's where my reasoning came from.
Fans feel cool because you're a warm-blooded mammal. Your body temperature is 37°C. As long as the fan is pushing 36°C air at you you will feel cooler.

What do you think air conditioners do?

And so according to you guys it wouldn't be a good idea for high engine speed driving but what about just low to mid power (city driving for example), like previously mentioned by Bugout4x4?
The ****ty little electric superchargers sold on eBay etc literally do nothing. They cannot provide boost due to their design and really don't have much power at all as a fan.

Would that help economy (I know aftermarket air intakes don't really make much of a difference of fuel efficiency) with the e-turbo pushing more cold air into the engine than it would itself?
Forced induction into a 4.0L will result in poor fuel economy without tuning.

Originally Posted by Bustedback
The Mighty Car Mods tested those and lost horsepower.
THIS.

They're a scam.

Last edited by salad; 11-06-2015 at 08:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Crazy idea thread