Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default #couldhavebeenbad

Making a thread for moments where we have almost lost it. On the trail on the road we have all come across a moment when it it had been left unattended it could have been bad. Or a when your on the edge of a cliff or about to roll and you stop an inch before.
Here is mine.

A loose caliper can destroy a rim. Yesterday I backed up my XJ and heard some grinding. Drove around the block once until I looked under. I found 2 stripped caliper bolts. How is anyone's guess. The caliper was maybe a penny's width from the rim.

Woooooooooooooooooo now that
#couldhavebeenbad
Old 09-19-2012, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001

Stupid wheeling moment: trying to tow another xj up a steep hill and wasn't getting very far so we decided to daisy chain jeeps. I was in front of the towed xj and there was 1 more jeep in front of me. I was at the crest if the hill, the other jeep was a bit off to the passenger side. Went to pull and because of the angle I was pulled sideways into a pretty decent dip in the trail. Got the 2 high side wheels off the ground and pretty sure the tension on the ropes was the only thing that kept me from rolling my freshly built XJ down a large hill. After that I though it was in drive so I gunned it to get up the hill. Turns out it was in reverse and I flew down the hill towards the XJ behind me. Reacted quick enough to hit the brakes and skid to a stop literally inches from the other XJ. On Monday had a spray paint can fall out and get punctured on a rock, spraying my bright red jeep with black paint. The entire drivers side, half the hood, and part of the roof was misted in black. Luckily had a gallon of lacquer thinner nearby and cleaned it all off before it could dry. #couldhavebeenbad.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I was on Withlacoochee's trails going just a little bit too fast over a large flexing point and when I used the brakes to slow down quickly I almost rolled forward. Wouldn't have been pretty.

Also never baja large puddles in the rain with larger, more buoyant tires; you will lose control of your Jeep and end up in the grass . Good thing I didn't end up in the oncoming traffic lane going over 50mph.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 99superjeep01
Stupid wheeling moment: trying to tow another xj up a steep hill and wasn't getting very far so we decided to daisy chain jeeps. I was in front of the towed xj and there was 1 more jeep in front of me. I was at the crest if the hill, the other jeep was a bit off to the passenger side. Went to pull and because of the angle I was pulled sideways into a pretty decent dip in the trail. Got the 2 high side wheels off the ground and pretty sure the tension on the ropes was the only thing that kept me from rolling my freshly built XJ down a large hill. After that I though it was in drive so I gunned it to get up the hill. Turns out it was in reverse and I flew down the hill towards the XJ behind me. Reacted quick enough to hit the brakes and skid to a stop literally inches from the other XJ. On Monday had a spray paint can fall out and get punctured on a rock, spraying my bright red jeep with black paint. The entire drivers side, half the hood, and part of the roof was misted in black. Luckily had a gallon of lacquer thinner nearby and cleaned it all off before it could dry. #couldhavebeenbad.
Ouch!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
I was on Withlacoochee's trails going just a little bit too fast over a large flexing point and when I used the brakes to slow down quickly I almost rolled forward. Wouldn't have been pretty.

Also never baja large puddles in the rain with larger, more buoyant tires; you will lose control of your Jeep and end up in the grass . Good thing I didn't end up in the oncoming traffic lane going over 50mph.
Roll over XJ!!!! Good boy!!!!
That could have been bad!