Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Cost of a tranny rebuild

Old 09-26-2017, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cost of a tranny rebuild

$3,900 for a transmission rebuild on a 96 RHD Cherokee done at a Chrysler dealership, sound about right? Seems spendy to me. Had a $2000 warranty tho. So gonna cost me $1,900. Which I'm thinking if I had brought it to my regular mechanic it would have cost about 2k.
Hate dealerships

Last edited by cruiser54; 09-27-2017 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by WIMailMan
$3,900 for a transmission rebuild on a 96 RHD Cherokee done at a Chrysler dealership, sound about right? Seems spendy as *** to me. Had a $2000 warranty tho. So gonna cost me $1,900. Which I'm thinking if I had brought it to my regular mechanic it would have cost about 2k.
Hate dealerships
Around $4k at a dealer sounds about right, and you're also right it is a total rip-off and would likely be about half that at a good independent shop (note: if you go this route find a good independent shop, not a chain, and avoid AAMCO like the plague), you can probably find a good used trans for around $500 or less though (add another $500 or so if you pay a shop to install it).

This of course is if you're 100% sure it needs a trans rebuild/replacement and things like sensors (TPS, Range sensor, speed sensors, etc.) and solenoids have been ruled out (allot of "transmission issues" actually trace back to electronics like these, and not the trans itself, assuming it is an auto).

Last edited by dmill89; 09-26-2017 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 10:00 PM

Thank you. The dealership says they tested all the sensors and it was "internal failure" and needed to be rebuilt. I'm excited to get it back tomorrow and get her back on the route. Not so excited to see the bill
Old 09-28-2017, 02:50 PM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Just curious, how many miles did the transmission have? did you ever change the fluid?

Also, ask what exactly was wrong with it?
Old 09-28-2017, 04:16 PM

It was shipped over from Japan, for the RHD, and now has about 85k on it. All route miles since about 30k. Tranny fluid had always been changed at 30k miles by previous owner, done at dealership because it had to keep the BG product warranty it had.
I have not heard exactly what was wrong with it, just that it had to be rebuilt. So they did it. I was spose to pick it up today but now they won't be finished until tomorrow.

I am not going to go with the BG product warranty again, and I will be changing the fluid once a year from here on out. Which will be about 20k miles a year.
With my other mail vehicles, which have all been Ford Taurus Wagons, I had great luck with the trannys. I always change fluid and filter yearly and would dump in a bottle of Lucas Tranny Fix. My dad swears by the stuff so I've always used it.
I plan on doing the same with the Cherokee. Unless someone has something negative to say about Lucas and jeeps. Open to thoughts
Old 10-01-2017, 07:38 AM

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 Cyl / 4L

Thanks for the response.

Assuming you have the AW4 transmission, Dex/Merc III is all you need. You don't even need to change the filter because it is not a filter but rather a screen. These transmissions are tough to kill, as long as you keep them cool. That's why you want to make sure the cooling lines coming and going to the radiator are working, and of course the radiator too. I guess if you are doing mail delivery which I guess is stop and go local traffic with lots of shifting to park, the radiator may not get enough airflow to cool the transmission fluid and cause the transmission to fail but it's just a guess.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:09 PM

Next spring I am going to have a transmission cooler installed. Figured I could get by til then with winter and the cold coming. I hope that will help it from going out again, or at least soon