Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Cost of rebuilding Cherokee xj front susp/steering

Old 12-21-2016, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cost of rebuilding Cherokee xj front susp/steering

Hey Guys, I'm new here and looking to purchase my first cherokee. I have found one locally for sale by a private owner. It is a 98 Cherokee Limited 4wd 4dr that has 160k on it. I did not see any rot on it but there is a lot of rust underneath. Again, I didnt see any rot but I'm not a car/truck guru, I am a motorcycle racer/mechanic. I have always worked on all of my own bikes including doing engines. Never done much to a car/truck except for brake pad, oil changes, minor stuff.
Soo... This Cherokee needs a bunch of little stuff but the one big flaw is that the front end is super super loose and scary to drive. I'm completing taking a shot in the dark but I would guess that it needs all new ball joints, sway bars, track bar, tie rods, and maybe a steering box. I'm just thinking worst case scenario, if I had to buy all those parts minus the steering box, what brand do I buy and how do I price this out to get an accurate figure for cost in parts. I just googled front end rebuilt kit and I got a 11 piece kit that came up for 128 bucks. Just curious what brand or what webiste I should look on to price this out. I am planning on doing the work myself if I buy the truck. I havent made an offer yet. The engine, trans, 4wd felt very strong and the interior could absolutely be cleaned up nice with minimal work.
Thanks, hope you guys can help.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Here's a good place to start. If anything it's a good reference:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j....0l+l6,1315943

Last edited by EZEARL; 12-21-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For one look at it as a chance to not just rebuild but also upgrade many of the items better than stock. Like tie rod ends for a mid 90 ZJ V-8 many times stronger, direct bolt-in and about $100 at AutoZone.

You need to check on what all parts are really needed and come back and ask again with the parts required.
Old 12-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks guys. Gonna see if I can get a repair plate to bring it to a mechanic and get it up on a lift to check it out.
Old 12-22-2016, 12:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 Inline

When I bought mine I also used youtube, bleepinjeep is a channel and the Pabst Boys are another.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cliffy
When I bought mine I also used youtube, bleepinjeep is a channel and the Pabst Boys are another.

Excellent advice, I did as well and still do!