Sponsored by: DashLynx

Consistent and MAJOR loss of power in my '92

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Consistent and MAJOR loss of power in my '92

Hi all,

I'm having a major problem with acceleration in my 92 Cherokee with 191K miles.

Background:
A few days ago I'm driving on the freeway when I notice smoke coming off my jeep. I pull over and pop the hood to find tranny fluid everywhere in the engine bay. Turns out my crank pulley notched a hole into my tranny cooler line. Mind you this only happened because the previous owner patched in a piece of rubber cooler hose and failed to make sure it wouldn't contact the pulley.

I have the jeep towed to a shop and they replace the rubber hose with a new one that will clear the pulley. They fill me up with tranny fluid and tell me to drive it until my gears come back. I do and after a while the gears start to come back... with a few issues.

The problem:
If I depress the gas pedal much more than an inch or two I get kind of a hissing sound from the tranny or engine not sure which, and I get absolutely no acceleration but the rpms stay at whatever they were at when I depress the pedal beyond an inch or two...usually around 1,500-2,000 rpm.

If I keep the pedal depressed an inch or two I have very slow but continuous acceleration and it will continue to speed up and shift through the gears all the way up to freeway speeds. However, if at anytime during this slow acceleration i try giving it more gas it does the same thing described in the previous paragraph, including the hissing and no change in rpm.

I'm thinking this problem is probably related to the transmission as I had absolutely no such problems before the notched cooler line fix. The owner of the shop that I had it fixed at said I just need to keep driving it and it will eventually come back. He said the problem is particles in my governor.

I've been driving it for a while now with absolutely no improvement.
Any thoughts?
Old 05-05-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 stock

Drop the transmission pan and look for debris in the filter and or pan. If there is any the transmission should be assessed to see if a simple flush will fix it or if was damaged during the incident.

Either way nothing really ever "fixes" itself... there is most certainly a problem... Just hope the transmission shop guy didn't cost you a tranny rebuild...