Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Considering the 14 Cherokee from a 06 Lexus GX470....questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Considering the 14 Cherokee from a 06 Lexus GX470....questions

I currently have an 06 Lexus GX470 with 100k miles, fully loaded to the max. It is a WONDERFUL SUV, but I had been intrigued by the new Cherokee looks for awhile and now considering trading my Lexus for a Trailhawk, V6. Has anyone else made the plunge from what I consider upper tier luxury car to a Jeep Cherokee? I don't need a new car just like it and how it looks. I like the upgraded technology and the interior looks nice also just as nice as my Lexus. Just wondering opinions etc....
Old 11-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: 4.0 I6 H.O.

I think you would be crazy going from a Lexus to an all new Cherokee in terms of reliability.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:50 PM

But was told the Cherokee has a 100k mile warranty. That would cover me about as long as I would own the Cherokee, I would probably be ready for something else at 100k.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 250 Likes on 168 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by aimcat
But was told the Cherokee has a 100k mile warranty. That would cover me about as long as I would own the Cherokee, I would probably be ready for something else at 100k.
For powertrain yes but why would you go from a GX to a Cherokee when you could go to a Grand Cherokee and not worry about the impending NHTSA recall of the Cherokee's nine speed.

Mark my words - that WILL happen.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:23 PM

I guess because the Cherokee was so much more. So your saying that they will recall and remove the 9 speed transmission? I had not heard about that.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:45 PM
CF Veteran

A fully loaded Cherokee is right around the same price as Grand Cherokee which has a proven drivetrain and a trophy case full of awards. It's easily (the Grand Cherokee) one of the best brand-new vehicles on the market today.

The recall think is just a hunch. An educated hunch based on the sales delay issues coming from the transmission but I could be wrong. I once swore that the Scionbaru FR86Z thingy would never be released so who am I do give out advice?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM

I had not given the grand Cherokee much thought. My mother had a 2000 model and had several issues out of it. It was a limited V8. Would you say they have been greatly improved since then? The Grand Cherokees that is.....would the Grand Cherokee be as good if not better than my Lexus...? I like my Lexus for sure just ready to move up to something with a few more features, Sirius which mine doesn't have, newer, etc...
Old 11-18-2013, 01:57 PM
Seasoned Member

I guess because the Cherokee was so much more. So your saying that they will recall and remove the 9 speed transmission? I had not heard about that.
He is just guessing that there will be a recall on the transmission. He doesn't know. I heard similar talk about the 8 speed that recently came out and have seen very few problems with them. I have driven the trailhawk with the 3.2 v6 and it drives pretty good. For the price of a fully loaded Cherokee you cannot get a fully loaded Grand Cherokee. Maybe base model. I don't think there is anything wrong with the new Cherokee. But it is too soon to tell. There are not really that many on the road yet. The 2014 Cherokee is still unprooven and that would he the only reason I would steer you away from it. If you like to have the latest and greatest, go for it. There are a lot of haters on here that are afraid of new technology and don't like the direction new cars are going in so you will probably get quite a few negative responses.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

You can't argue with the number of awards the GC gets and continues to get. That 8 speed was developed in conjunction with ZF - I wouldn't worry about it.

The 3.6 Pentastar is proven - the 3.2 in the Cherokee is not. Yes the GC is more expensive especially if you want navigation and 4wd but if you're coming from a Lexus, I bet you'd like the added luxury and space.

If I were you, I'd go drive both. Whatever one you go for, make sure it has the full-blown nav with UConnect. That is, without a doubt, the best navigation/infotainment system on the market today.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Battle, the 9spd trans doesn't have known problems. It's just too much for the 4cyl motor. It can't reach 9th, and they delayed launch to change the software on those models.

That said, aimcat, you'll find very few supporters of the new Cherokee on this forum.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Was afraid of that. I mean I know the new Cherokee is not the old one. I know that......I did worry about the transmission and I am not normally one to jump at something new like this....
Old 11-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Moderator of Jeeps

Year: 1993 YJ Wrangler
Engine: 4.0 I6

Was afraid of that. I mean I know the new Cherokee is not the old one. I know that......I did worry about the transmission and I am not normally one to jump at something new like this....
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the vehicle is bad in itself. The styling is very polarizing in a love or hate aspect, and it 'tarnished' the name of our beloved vehicle. Basically, most of us are bitter.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:58 PM

Year: 97

go for it !!!! what are you waiting for???????

hurry in while supplies last.... remember dealerships are more willing to negotiate at the end of every month and more so at the end of every year....
Old 11-18-2013, 05:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Battle
You can't argue with the number of awards the GC gets and continues to get. That 8 speed was developed in conjunction with ZF - I wouldn't worry about it.

The 3.6 Pentastar is proven - the 3.2 in the Cherokee is not. Yes the GC is more expensive especially if you want navigation and 4wd but if you're coming from a Lexus, I bet you'd like the added luxury and space.

If I were you, I'd go drive both. Whatever one you go for, make sure it has the full-blown nav with UConnect. That is, without a doubt, the best navigation/infotainment system on the market today.
You are right about the Grand being a better vehicle. They are just not in the same price range. I would go with the v8 option in the Grand. The hemi is what you can call proven. Not the 3.6. I have seen a lot of problems with the 3.6. I agree with driving both and seeing what you like, they are both good vehicles. Make sure you get the upgraded nav system. My wife just got a 2013 Audi Q7, I couldn't talk her into getting a Grand and the nav/radio in that thing sucks compared to the new Chrysler vehicles.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:30 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995

Originally Posted by JWheeler
There are a lot of haters on here that are afraid of new technology and don't like the direction new cars are going in
I'm not scared of new technology, I'm scared of the price of replacing broken or malfunctioning technology.

The inside rear view mirror for a little Ford Fusion cost $1200, the one in my XJ was $7 brand new.

A Corolla headlight is $737 for ONE, the Silverstar headlight for my XJ was $38 for BOTH.

That kind of money for replacement parts is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Considering the 14 Cherokee from a 06 Lexus GX470....questions