Click/Clank Sound, found out what it is

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default Click/Clank Sound, found out what it is

Well i had this clank/click sound almost like flexplate bolts. Come to find out all my flex plate bolts are nice and tight like they're supposed to be. Also found out my vibration i get at about 60mph is my drive line in the rear, has a going bad u-joint.

However the click/clank that i hear at low speed is something a bit more urgent to fix, though doesn't leave me not operable. Its the u-joint in the front driver 4wd behind the wheel. Bearings in it are completely gone so its sitting in there rattling making the click/clank sound as my wheel turns or if i'm sitting just right with the wheels it will rattle back and forth.

New ones gonna cost me 14.99 each for life time warranty. Which is pretty cheap. So gonna buy 3 u joints next time i get paid and a gal of diff fluid since i going to pull the front axles out on both sides and replace both parts since one is bad and the other isn't as bad yet.

Also got a piece of metal temporarily in the driver floor board till i can get a bigger sheet to cover the entire hole. Got lucky found a guy close to me who has 3 cherokees for parts so i'm hoping to snag some parts from him to go on mine woot. was a excellent find that someone just happened to see i was driving a XJ and new of someone with 3 for parts.