Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cherokee in minor fender bender, how can I get the most money out of it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question Cherokee in minor fender bender, how can I get the most money out of it?

Last week I was in my first car accident leaving my Jeep drive-able but pretty well damaged (see photo below). Thankfully, nothing under the hood was damaged. I'm planning on getting another Cherokee but I want to get as much money as possible out of this one. Any recommendations?

Can I sell the entire Jeep to a salvage yard? Should I sell parts individually?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:15 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

What did your insurance company do, total it?

Damage doesn't look that bad, as long as there's no frame damage, fix it. That would be a damn shame to send it to the salvage yard. Besides, they'd only give you scrap value, around $300 tops. You'd be better off parting out yourself at that point, but it will take a while...

If insurance totals it, take the money, but buy it back from them. It will have a salvage title. Then you can either fix it and drive it, turn it into an off road only toy, or part it out and buy another. My .02
Old 11-05-2017, 11:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by roninofako
What did your insurance company do, total it?

Damage doesn't look that bad, as long as there's no frame damage, fix it. That would be a damn shame to send it to the salvage yard. Besides, they'd only give you scrap value, around $300 tops. You'd be better off parting out yourself at that point, but it will take a while...

If insurance totals it, take the money, but buy it back from them. It will have a salvage title. Then you can either fix it and drive it, turn it into an off road only toy, or part it out and buy another. My .02
My advice exactly. You can usually buy the vehicle back for dirt cheap.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee

Hey... That looks like nothing, and don't let them "Total" it. If you only have liability insurance the repairs are actually not going to be that bad and you can probably replace all that yourself and throw some primer on it....

OK, I know my question is going to cause a debate... But it is related to the problem Ronin brings up about having to "buy back" an auto that already belongs to you in the first place.

At what point when I got insurance did I sign the Title over to them as legal owners of the vehicle in the first place? What legal right do they have to say "Want to buy it back?". What do you mean "buy it back?" It never belonged to you in the first place!. You are either going to cover it for the fee I paid you or not. And if not then you will hear from my attorney. But it never belonged to you to "sell back" to me.

This is an insurance scam that needs to be addressed in every state. My attorney tells me it is not legal in how they do this no matter what you sign. I am going though this right now with another vehicle. "Well that's just the way it is" is totally unacceptable because it is fraud, deception and actually not even legal.

Quit putting up with it, and fight back through your state insurance board to get this scam fixed!
Old 11-05-2017, 12:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

most money? your neck and back are hurting, aren't they? joke

id fix that one, not much damage.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 i six H.O.

yea I never thought about that buy back crap either. statefarm pulled that on me with my 93 dodge, it was parked and someone hit the back driver corner, just dented the bumper and kinda misaligned the hood quarter panel. they totaled it because it apparently had too much rust to fix it. cant remember what the price was, but i kept the car and got 1800 bucks out of it. 2 or 3 months later used that 1800 to buy redmuck #1. drove the dodge 10 hours to the east side of PA.