Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Cherokee High oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee High oil pressure

So I have a 2000 Cherokee sport that has been sitting for a few months and I'm going to try selling it (I think) so I started it up yesterday. Started up no problem except the oil pressure gauge maxed out. I've never had an issue with this in the 12 years I've owned the car. Any ideas what may cause this and what I can do to fix it? Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Sending unit (near oil filter) could have failed. You could unplug the connector and clean it. Reconnect it making sure it's fitting right. Remove the unit and clean the orifice in the sending unit and where it mounts. If you replace it your best bet is to get one from a dealer if you want reliability.

Oh and by the way WELCOME.
Old 05-08-2017, 12:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6

I agree that this would be a sender problem. It's a $30-60 part at the parts store. My Advance Auto Parts one worked absolutely fine for over a year before I traded my Jeep in.

When it fails, the gauge can either go full maximum or full minimum. I would guarantee your Cherokee's oil pressure is probably fine and it's just an electrical fault in the sensor.

I wouldn't clean it because chemicals have been known to screw sensors up even worse.