Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 01:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline 6
Default Cheaper LED headlights

I was wondering if anyone has, or is, running these kinds of LED headlights in their XJ, and what they think about them and if they can post any good comparison pics?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-LED-HID-...pVV95X&vxp=mtr
Old 06-05-2016, 02:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They have been around under a few brands,But i would pass on them tho,Theres a reason why trucklite went away from the muilt led light set up like that.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I've seen them. I'd tell you to stay away. Absolutely garbage pattern if you can even say that they have a pattern at all.

If you want LED, as far as I'm concerned JW Speaker is the best (beware of "counterfeit" JW's that are all over the place--they're much lower quality in many ways that really do matter), and Truck-lite is the only other LED headlight worthy of consideration.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 190 Likes on 165 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

There are threads about them. The most memorable one is finally the perfect led headlight. Kind of ironic since they suck so bad. They're cheap and blindingly bright. Offroad use only would be fine but on road they blind on coming traffic. People will still buy them and use them even though they blind others. Most only care about their own ability to see at night and how cheaply they can get more light.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:47 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mschi772
If you want LED, as far as I'm concerned JW Speaker is the best (beware of "counterfeit" JW's that are all over the place--they're much lower quality in many ways that really do matter), and Truck-lite is the only other LED headlight worthy of consideration.
I know how good the TruckLites and JW Speakers are. I had the TruckLites on my XJ when I still owned it and I currently have JW Speaker on my JK Rubicon.

I'm questioning these lower-cost LED headlights, or any like them in this price range, because I need a cheap option for the girlfriend who needs something better than stock so she can see out on the dark country roads. And I honestly don't want to invest money in better halogen headlights or incandescent headlights because for the money, I think HID or LED is a better light source.

I was wondering if anyone at all has any pictures of light output from something like this and how it compares to the (obviously much nicer) pricier alternatives. Her XJ is a clunker as it is, so cheap headlights don't bother me that much as long as they're bright enough to satisfy her needs.

What I have heard is they are not DOT approved, but sweeping that under the carpet, she barely does any night driving. Her OEM headlights are dimmer than candles and she needs cost-efficient lighting that performs well.

Originally Posted by SatiricalHen
There are threads about them. The most memorable one is finally the perfect led headlight. Kind of ironic since they suck so bad. They're cheap and blindingly bright. Offroad use only would be fine but on road they blind on coming traffic. People will still buy them and use them even though they blind others. Most only care about their own ability to see at night and how cheaply they can get more light.
I'm not surprised. They're like spotlights. Almost like they have the same pattern as an LED light bar, just packed into a headlight shape.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 06-05-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 03:55 PM
CF Veteran

Well I found a video that probably answers my question. I wonder if adjusting them to a super low angle would eliminate most of the head-on glare. After all, she isn't lifted or anything like that.

When it comes to smaller LED light bars, it's tolerable to look at them from an angle, such as when tilted up or down and away from the eyes. It's only head-on where I would ever complain about being blinded.

Last edited by thatXJguy; 06-05-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by thatXJguy
Her OEM headlights are dimmer than candles and she needs cost-efficient lighting that performs well.
A harness upgrade (PutCo, one of the many on eBay, etc.) makes a big difference the stock wiring on the XJ sucks (especially if old and neglected) leading to a significant voltage drop. Even the OE sealed beams are much brighter with an aftermarket harness and H4 upgrade housings even better.

Harnesses:
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting H4 100W Heavy Duty Wiring Harness and Relay: Automotive

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceramic-H4-9.../221349534772?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-Headlight...VUpy5e&vxp=mtr

H4 Housings:
DOT if you live in a state with inspections:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054-...VVtyLC&vxp=mtr

Euro (ECE) which have a better pattern if being DOT certified is not an issue:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054-...tVq1TY&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dmill89; 06-05-2016 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:58 PM

for the money, I think HID or LED is a better light source.
What???? The only worth LED headlights I've seen as the lighting geek I am have been at least $400. The best halogen patterning I've seen has been on a ~$180 pair, and it's effectively almost as good plus Halogen has the benefit of better CRI for what that's worth. Meanwhile, the ol classic Autopal + relay harness costs pennies and is really quite decent. For the money, there's no question that a simple H4 halogen setup has the greatest bang-for-buck.

she barely does any night driving
So why in the world are you even bothering to fuss over such expensive a market as LED headlights when she'll barely get any use out of them.

Relay harness and ECE Autopals with good bulbs should cost less than $100 and be tremendously better than stock.

Last edited by mschi772; 06-05-2016 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

I wonder if adjusting them to a super low angle would eliminate most of the head-on glare. After all, she isn't lifted or anything like that.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:38 PM

Engine: 4.6 I6

I wonder if adjusting them to a super low angle would eliminate most of the head-on glare. After all, she isn't lifted or anything like that..
Name:  RIEuCg2.gif
Views: 436
Size:  962.3 KB
Old 06-06-2016, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For around the same price you can get hella h4 housings and the wiring harness,And probably have better light out of them.If its a stock jeep thats just a daily driver that set up will be more then enough light for night time driving.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:08 AM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
For around the same price you can get hella h4 housings and the wiring harness,And probably have better light out of them.If its a stock jeep thats just a daily driver that set up will be more then enough light for night time driving.
Yup I put a harness, some philips bulbs, and some Vision vx57 housings, the difference was night and day, DOT approved so I am still street legal.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:42 AM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

so she can see out on the dark country roads.

she barely does any night driving.
which is it? lol
Old 06-06-2016, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by rzldzl
which is it? lol
Sorry if that sounded contradictory. She barely does, but when she does, I want her to be able to see well.

Like I said, her Jeep's a clunker and I'm not willing to invest a ton of money into it, so the cheaper the better.

I'm not a fan of the Putco harness after having installed it on my Cherokee a few years back.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 AM
CF Veteran

Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Those LED headlights are off-road lighting. No amount of aiming is going to turn those into a DOT approved beam pattern that you can use on the road.

If you are looking for on-road lighting, go with the suggested harness upgrade and some DOT approved H4 housings.

Or get her some real bi-xenon projectors like these;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOT-Certifie...FS-TS8&vxp=mtr

Or just throw a crappy light bar on there and wire it to a switch or the high-beams if she is driving on dark country roads (meaning that there is little oncoming traffic and you can dip your lights when there is oncoming traffic).
Amazon.com: TMH® 20'' Dual Row High Power 126w Cree Xb-d SMD LED Work Light Bar 13000 Lumens Off-road, 4wd, 4x4, Utv, Sand Rail, Atv, Suv, Motorbike, Motorcycle, Bike, Dirt Bike, Bus, Trailer, Truck, Train, Mining Truck, Excavator, Bulldozer, Crane, Road Roller, Fork Lift, Fire Engine, Police & Rescue Vehicle, Military Vehicle, Camping, Courtyard Lamp, Fishing, Boat, Yacht, Road Lamp, Street Light, Fog Lamp, Day Light,: Automotive Amazon.com: TMH® 20'' Dual Row High Power 126w Cree Xb-d SMD LED Work Light Bar 13000 Lumens Off-road, 4wd, 4x4, Utv, Sand Rail, Atv, Suv, Motorbike, Motorcycle, Bike, Dirt Bike, Bus, Trailer, Truck, Train, Mining Truck, Excavator, Bulldozer, Crane, Road Roller, Fork Lift, Fire Engine, Police & Rescue Vehicle, Military Vehicle, Camping, Courtyard Lamp, Fishing, Boat, Yacht, Road Lamp, Street Light, Fog Lamp, Day Light,: Automotive

Quick Reply: Cheaper LED headlights