Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default carburetor q's

so my plans are to put a 4.7 stoker in to the jeep with in the next year or two. what i would like to do is also make it carbureted so it's easier to work on no problems with computers and to squeeze a little extra power out of it. if i did i would probably have to make a custom intake and such. now the obvious downside to being carbureted is any extreme off camber situation the jets might go dry there for loosing fuel. my first thought was like oh just put some type of sponge in their but obviously that conflicts with the floats. the other thing i thought was some type of baffling or maybe just to really skiny bowls. so my questions are as follows.

1. has anyone seen this type of set up?
2. is their a carb that i can get to combat the fuel loss issue?
3. if not what can i do to the carb to combat it?
4. any intake ideas?

also i don't really want to get in to the whole carbureted/fuel injected debate.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

The carb vs fuel injection debate is impossible to avoid.

You are building a rig for offroad. you can make a carburator better for climbs and descents, off camber and fuel sloshing around, but it will never touch the performance of a fuel injection setup. I just dont know why you would want to put a carb on a fuel injected jeep inline 6 anyway. They are super simple to work on and diagnose as is and work great.

For my pickup truck (which is getting fuel injection shortly) I took an edelbrock 4 barrel, jb welded the equalization passage in the back of the carb shut, and added spring loaded needles and seats. It still sucks offroad, I'm always stalling it, and even have to be pushed/ pulled off obstacles sometimes to get it restarted. It can make for a dangerous situation sometimes if you cant throttle out of something.

Holley also makes a truck avenger carb. Its still not nearly as good as fuel injection, but better.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

Originally Posted by andecase
so my plans are to put a 4.7 stoker in to the jeep with in the next year or two.
Sounds like you have plenty of time to work out what needs to be done with fuel management. I know you said you don't want to debate it, but with all the time /effort you would spend adapting a Carb setup, you could just do the MFI right. I don't know specifics but I know people have done 4.7 strokers so the info should be out there.

I'm just saying why spend time for something that will never work the best for your intentions.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

i honestly am not anywhere near set on using carbureted it's just more of a if i can find a set up that will work then I'll use it if not I'm gonna stay with EFI. just kinda hoping someone would say oh yeah do this and this and bam but i wasn't keeping my hopes to high. my biggest reason for wanting to do carbureted is my mechanical knowledge is limited. with a carbureted engine i can do pretty much anything. EFI gets way over my head way to quick. haha
Old 09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '99 and '91

I definitely understand.

Yea I don't think there's a definite easy "bolt on" to run a Carb.

Best thing I can recommend is just start Googling away, bookmark and save any useful info and then keep reviewing it and finding more until you feel educated. Like I said I don't know exactly how its done but it has been done. Lol