Cherokee Chat General non-tech Cherokee chat
XJ/MJ/ZJ/WJ

Car camping with 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk

Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM
a4d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Car camping with 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk

Hey all, just wanted to share my experience here with you all. I bought a 2017 Cherokee Trailhawk about 2 months ago with the sole purpose of off road and camping. I had her in the woods the very first night I bought it. I have to say this vehicle has not ceased to impress. I went camping this last weekend in north east PA. I brought a tent but decided to try sleeping in the cherokee instead. I folded down the front seat and stuffed my clothes bag in the gap between the seats. Laid down a sleeping pad and it was great! Best part was it dropped to the low 20's and began to snow saturday night into sunday. I woke up a tad cold so I just used the remote start to get some heat in the jeep and it shut itself off and back to sleep. Worked like a charm! How many others are using their cherokee to camp in?

Liitle crampes only cuz it raied all saturday and i kept most of my gear inside with me. Otherwise was comfortable.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Not bad. Looks like fun!
Old 02-28-2017, 05:14 AM
a4d

It most definitely was. I try and road trip or go camping as much as possible.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:56 PM

A good friend locally live most-of-the-time in an '89 Ford E150 that he's outfitted as a basic "vanning" rig, and my wife and I are very close to moving out of our rental house into a renovated 31' travel trailer that we intend to live up to the "travel" part in as much as possible, so I'm keen to the whole mobile/car camper thing.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

I car camp in my XJ all the time. Why waste time setting up a tent when I have one built-in to the rear of my Cherokee

I thought it would be way too cold in the winter (lifted 4.5"), but the carpet is fairly insulated and with a yoga mat, and 0*F sleeping bag I was super toasty even with the windows cracked.

I did wake up and ALL of the windows were iced up from the inside though. Freaked out for a second thinking I was buried in snow.

Sometimes I will even take a nap in the back if I have a few hours to kill. Yoga mat + camping pillow FTW